A History of Council Housing in Wolverhampton

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright March 2011, John M; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


The 1930s - The inter war years

SJ9102 : Council Housing - Shelley Road by John M Elston Hall
SJ9102 : Council Housing - Arundel Road by John M SJ9002 : Council Housing - Sandwell Road by John M Marsh Lane
SJ9302 : Council Housing - Keats Road by John M SJ9301 : Council Housing - Chesterton Road by John M SJ9302 : Council Housing - Newman Road by John M The Scotlands
Shared Description used on 13 images
Council Housing in Wolverhampton - 1930s by John M
Council house building saw a slowdown in the borough following on from the large programme of works that saw the building of the Low Hill and Bushbury Estates between 1925 and 1927. The early 1930s saw limited development on the fringes of the major estates to accommodate residents of slum clearance areas following the Housing Act of 1930. The housing built was of smaller units with more two bedroom properties and smaller three bedroom properties.

The Housing Act of 1935 led to a continuation of this policy with estates built in the north of the town at Elston Hall, Marsh Lane and The Scotlands between 1935 and 1937. Some housing was built in the cleared slum areas in Walsall Street.

The house building programme was brought to a halt by the Second World War in 1940.



SJ9302 : Council Housing - Keats Road by John M


KML

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 )
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved