Alkborough - North Lincolnshire

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright January 2007, Humphrey Bolton; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


Introduction


Preface


This is the second edition (January 2009) of the second of my articles about civil parishes. It has been recast in my latest format - divided into grid squares scanning from west to east whilst progressing from south to north. I have experimentally divided the 'Exploration' into slices ('Northing nn') to group squares with the same northing. The exploration starts in peaceful countryside, comes to a climax when the village is reached, and ends on Alkborough Flats by the Humber and Trent. The grid square format has the advantage that every section of the exploration can have the OS map of the square at its head.

I have added many of the images that have been submitted in the last year or two.

Abbreviations:
13C = 13th century

Geography


Alkborough village lies on a ridge that has a steep escarpment to the west, down to the River Trent, and a shallow eastern slope down to Halton Drain. The escarpment is formed of Triassic mudstone, and the ridge and land to the east are on shale of the Lower lias in the Jurassic system. This is mainly arable land. The north-western part of the parish is low-lying land adjacent to the River Trent and River Humber. This is alluvium, and was fertile farmland protected by embankments. However on 11 September 2006 the embankment was deliberately breached in order to provide storage for floodwater. The scheme will also provide a new wetland habitat, with seasonal grazing, which is to be designated as a National Nature Reserve.

The village is in SE8821. A map showing the civil parish boundary can be accessed via the link in the 'Maps' section below.

Prehistory


Flint arrowheads and other implements of the Neolithic period (4000BC-2350BC) including a stone axehead have been picked up at Kell Well. An Early Bronze Age (2350BC-1500BC) beaker vessel has been found in the grounds of Walcot Hall . There is evidence for Iron Age and Romano-British settlements within the parish, especially along the top of the escarpment overlooking the River Trent. In 1931, a pot containing a small hoard of Roman coins was dug up just to the south at Walcot Hall. (NLC)

History


The names Alkborough and Walcot are Saxon. There is Saxon work in the church, including the tower (Pevsner) and the name 'Walcot' could mean that it was a surviving hamlet of British people (Ekwall). Alkborough and Walcot are listed as separate vills in Domesday Book, but their lands were split between different owners in a complicated way. Ivo Tailbois held land in both vills, but his land in Walcot was leased from Peterborough Abbey. Norman d'Arcy had land in Walcot, which he leased to his man Robert. In Walcot also were two outlying parts of other manors. (Domesday Book)

Alkborough is an ancient parish that was in Manley Wapentake, and later in Glanford Brigg Rural District in the Administrative County of Lindsey. In 1974 it became part of the Glanford District of Humberside County, which became, with Scunthorpe District, North Lincolnshire Unitary Authority when Humberside County was abolished in 1996.

The population was 345 in 1801, peaked at 528 in 1841 (Genuki) and was 453 in 2001 (ONS), when there were 188 households of which approximately 140 were in the village.

Much of the agricultural land was in large open fields, cultivated in strips allocated to the villagers, and the older farms are likely to be those fronting the main streets, whilst those out in the fields, such as Southdale Farm, were established after the open fields were enclosed c.1765. The owner of the Walcot estate enclosed his land in the 17C as sheep pasture, which was then more profitable than arable farming. He became wealthy enough to build Walcot Old Hall.

Sources

Maps


OS six-inch map of 1889 (search for Alkborough): LinkExternal link
OS one-inch Popular Edition Sheet 33 third revision 1920-1, with minor corrections to 1930 and parish boundary added, see:
LinkExternal link
Modern OS maps can be viewed via links on the Geograph image pages.

Books


Domesday Book - a complete translation, Penguin 2003
Fisher= Adrian Fisher & Jeff Saward, The British Maze Guide, 1991
Shell= The Shell and BP guide to Britain,1964
Pevsner= Nicholas Pevsner and John Harris,The Buildings of England - Lincolnshire, Penguin 1964.
Youngs, Frederick A Jr,Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England, Vol II, Royal Historical Society 1991.

Web sites


ONS = Office for National Statistics LinkExternal link
NLC = North Lincolnshire Council: LinkExternal link
APC = Alkborough Parish Council: LinkExternal link
Genuki= LinkExternal link
IOE = Images of England (listed buildings). Links for specific buildings are in the text.

Exploring Northing 19

SE8719


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


csq 24 SE872194

SE8719 : Coleby Wood by Steve Parker
Coleby Wood is alongside the road. It was presumably the wood in which the inhabitants of Coleby had commoner's rights. The hamlet of Coleby is just in West Halton parish, but it was a vill in Domesday Book, so perhaps its territory was split between West Halton and Alkborough when it ceased to be a township. This photograph was taken from the east.



csq 89 SE878199

SE8719 : Setaside by Steve Parker
Fallow field, or just between crops?


SE8819


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


SE8819 : Willow Stump by Steve Parker
This is the view northwards from the bridleway to Coleby. This name is Willow Stumps on the six-inch map of 1889. The stumps seem to have been on the parish boundary, and were perhaps along a ditch that by 1889 was no longer at the edge of the field but a little way south of it. Actually, looking at the aerial photograph on maps.live, I suspect that this view is from csq22 SE882192 about 300m west of Willow Stump.



SE8919


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


SE8919 : Coleby village street by Steve Parker
Coleby was a vill in Domesday Book and evidently a manor with a manor house with a moat and a fish pond, and also a wood in SE8719. At some time it has lost its independence and been partitioned between Alkborough and West Halton. The fish pond and hall are in the former, but the village is in the latter. In the absence of an image in Alkborough I have used this image of the village street.



Exploring Northing 20

SE8720


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


SE8720 : Trent Bank at Walcot by Steve Parker
A bridleway follows the top of the escarpment above the River Trent. This view is from an unspecified location, but the south-western end of Alkborough Flats can be seen; the left corner of the field of rape is at csq 19. If you open up the full-size image, there is a white object in the middle is in just the right place for the lighthouse shown on the 1:25000 map.



SE8620 : The Cliff by Martin Wilson
This is what the escarpment, named 'The Cliff' on the OS map, looks like from across the Trent.


csq 37 SE873207

SE8720 : Kell Well by Steve Parker
At Kell Well (Keel Well on the 1889 map) flint arrowheads and other implements of the Neolithic period (4000BC-2351BC) including a stone axehead have been picked up. The water, which comes from the Lias rock, is rich in iron salts. The stream descends the escarpment in a series of small waterfalls. A narrow lane, now classed as a footpath, leads to the well from the Burton upon Stather to Alkborough road.


csq 74 SE877204

The Burton upon Stather to Alkborough road picks its way around what must be old enclosures (in contrast to the Whitton road, which was set out by an 18C enclosure award). The T-junction here is interesting, as it suggests that the present road to the west of the junction is a diversion, and that the ancient route went south along the 'other right of way' to Walks End. However there is no other evidence of that and it is not a through route on the 1889 map.

csq 99 SE879209

Walcot Old Hall (Manor Farmhouse) is an L-shaped house of red-brick, in mid-17C Artisan Mannerist style, restored c.1980. The windows have mullions and transoms of rendered brick; the ground-floor windows and door have brick pediments and are vertically bound together with the first floor windows. There is a pediment also at the top of the central bay. There are decorative details in cut brick, and a pantile roof. See: IoE linkExternal link

Peel Cottage, Walcot is an estate cottage, of coursed limestone rubble with brick dressings and a pantile hipped roof, built in the early 19C for the Goulton Estate. See: IoE linkExternal link

In 1620 Martin Brighouse, the owner of Walcot, enclosed the land and made much of it sheep pasture. In the mid 17C century Walcot was purchased by the Hull Alderman and merchant Nicholas Denman, whose daughter married a Goulton and thus began the Goulton-Constable line. They did not own the whole of Alkborough but gradually bought more property.

SE8820


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


SE8820 : Pylons by Steve Parker
A square with neither roads nor other rights of way, but there are two images of fields. This one shows the double line of pylons marching westwards towards the crossing of the River Trent. The wood on the right is the plantation at Walks End.



SE8820 : Green Barley by Steve Parker
A field of barley, with an attractive texture especially when seen on a breezy day. The twin power lines can be seen on the right. Of these, the one on the left goes to a power station at North Killingholme and the other one to Immingham.


SE8920


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


SE8920 : The Humber Bridge over West Halton by Steve Parker
The land in this square certainly looks as if it was enclosed in the 18C, with long, straight field boundaries and a bridleway that runs straight for over a kilometre, up and down hills. This view is stated to be looking east from near Southdale Farm, so is probably from the bridleway at the summit of the hill at csq 27.



SE8920 : The March of Power by Steve Parker
A dramatic view of the pylons, from an unspecified location but perhaps from the bridleway near csq 32 SE893202.


csq69 SE896209

Where the parish boundary crosses West Halton Road it can be seen as a hedged bank running towards Whitton and indicates the size of the open field called Alkborough Field which used to extend back to the village and was communally farmed until 1768. This spot was marked by a large ash tree called the Lordship Ash. After its demise a replacement tree, an oak, was planted by Rev. G Towell as Chairman of the Parish Council. (APC)

Exploring Northing 21

SE8721


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


Walcot Hall


csq 71 SE877211

SE8721 : Walcot Hall by Steve Parker
Walcot Hall is a mid-Georgian country house built for Thomas Goulton in 1726, set in 2ha of formal gardens and 9ha of parkland. It has a five-bay front and a big Doric porch, possibly a 19C addition, with an iron balustrade. The outer windows of the front and back of each side are two-storey canted bays. The grounds and gardens round the hall were laid out and planted in 1800. (Pevsner) The Abbey of Peterborough had at one time a chapel, leper hospital and burial ground in Walcot. (NLC) Walcot Hall is a private house, but has a licence for civil weddings and hosts twelve a year.


The earthworks of the deserted medieval village at Walcot are now mostly ploughed out and are only visible on aerial photographs; the site has produced limestone building rubble and quantities of medieval and post-medieval pottery. The foundations of a medieval building were discovered during the construction of the southern end of the driveway to the Hall. These could be the remains of the house occupied by the priest who lived close to Walcot Chapel and cemetery, which was built in 1147AD by the Abbot of Peterborough and maybe located somewhere nearby in the Park. (NLC)

The bridleway


csq 61 SE876211

SE8721 : Near Walcot Hall by David Wright SE8721 : Track Junction in Hillside Plantation by David Wright SE8721 : Track towards Walcot by David Wright
On entering the square, the bridleway soon meets farm tracks going west down the hill and east to Manor Farm. These were used for construction traffic during the flood relief works on Alkborough Flats.


csq 61 SE876211

SE8721 : The Path through Hillside Plantation by David Wright SE8721 : Hillside Plantation by David Wright
Then the bridleway goes through Hillside Plantation.


csq 85 SE878215

SE8721 : Footpath to Alkborough by David Wright
A footpath runs south-eastwards from the bridleway to Walcot Road and the cemetery.



SE8821 - the village


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


Walcot Road


csq 03 SE880213

The churchyard had become full, and a new cemetery was made in 1905 on land donated by James Goulton-Constable. In the western corner there is a medieval Christian labyrinth on a metal plaque, on the gravestone of Mr J Goulton-Constable (1850-1922), who ensured that the turf maze was maintained. He was a typical Victorian squire, a driving force behind the building of the present school in 1874 and a generous benefactor to the Cricket Club which played on Westcroft, south of the hall and to welfare organisations like the Cow Club, Coal Club and Sick Club (APC).

csq 04 SE880214

A public footpath crosses the road, westwards to meet the bridleway along the top of The Cliff, and eastwards, mostly along College Close, to West Halton Road.

csq 14 SE881214

A triangular block of housing, partly semi-detached (council houses?) with some detached houses, probably more recent. On College Close a pair of houses called Jerusalem Cottages.

Back Street


csq 05 SE880215

College Farm - Magdalene College, Cambridge, was endowed with a farm in Alkborough in 1624 by Frances Dowager, Countess of Warwick. The college still has the farm (I am assuming that it is College Farm). (APC)
When a pasture field adjacent to Countess Close was ploughed, building debris of limestone, tile, burnt stone and areas of clay floors were uncovered. The pottery finds show that these house sites were occupied from the 13C to the 16C. This area might previously have been the site of a small cell of Benedictine monks founded in 1052 by Spalding Priory; the monks were recalled to Spalding in 1220. (NLC)

csq 06 SE880216

SE8821 : Tower House by David Wright
The Tower House – a three-storey house that looks to have been imported from a town. It has an elaborate bay window.


Countess Close is a square earthwork with sides 90m long, with an entrance on the north side. It was originally thought to have been a Roman camp, but the experts now think it was a fortified medieval farmstead, possibly monastic. The name refers to Countess Lucy, wife of Ivo Tailbois (Shell), the lord of the manor at the time of the Domesday survey. It is a scheduled ancient monument.

csq 07 SE880217

SE8821 : Alkborough, Julians Bower (Maze) by Gordon Kneale Brooke
Julian's Bower is a circular medieval turf maze, 12m in diameter. It is of a medieval Christian design, with eleven rings (Fisher). It is thought to have been cut around the year 1200 by Benedictine monks who lived locally. The monastic cell was an offshoot of the Monastery at Spalding, and was closed in 1220. It was first recorded in 1697. In 1866 a visitor noted that villagers played May-eve games on the maze (Fisher). It is a scheduled ancient monument, owned by the Parish Council.



SE8821 : Julian's Bower Entrance by David Wright SE8821 : Julians Bower by Mike Fuller SE8821 : Julians Bower by Paul Allison
This is the entrance, which is also the start of the bridleway along The Cliff. Then two more images of the maze, the second of which is from the very early days of the Geograph site - with a three-figure image number.


SE8821 : Permissive Footpath to Alkborough Flats by David Wright
A new permissive footpath leads from Julian's Bower to Alkborough Flats.


csq 17 SE881217

SE8821 : Alkborough by David Wright SE8821 : Hallgarth Cottage, Alkborough by David Wright SE8821 : Alkborough Coronation Club by David Wright
First a view of Back Street looking towards the church. The first building on the right is Hallgarth Cottage, and then the building with the sign is the Coronation Club - the social hub of the village (see second image). It was established about 70 years ago, so it was presumably named after the coronation of George VI. It is on the corner of Back Lane and Cross Lane, which crosses to Front Street. The second image is Hallgarth Cottage and the third the Coronation Club.


csq 18 SE881218

SE8821 : Churchside, Alkborough by David Wright SE8821 : The Vicarage - Alkborough by David Wright
Opposite Cross Lane a house called 'The Olde Library' - Mary, Lady Strickland (1797-1865), amongst other charitable works, was responsible for the building of the National and Infants’ Schools, now Watersmeet, and the Old Library in Back Street (APC). The street then passes the Vicarage and reaches the church, where its continuation is Church Side, and Church View goes to the right, to Front Street.


St John the Baptist's Church


csq 18 & 28

SE8821 : Alkborough Church by David Wright SE8821 : East end of Alkborough Church by Steve Parker SE8821 : War Memorial & Church by Steve Parker
St John the Baptist's Church was founded in or before 1052, and has a Saxon tower, except for the top stage which was added in the 14C or 15C. The west door is round-headed, in the Saxon style. The belfry was originally in the second stage behind double openings with arched tops, but is now in the third stage with tall double openings of 13C type. The chancel roof has a steeper pitch and higher ridge than that of the nave. The church clock is actually owned by the civil parish. The Parish Council is responsible for ensuring its regular winding and maintenance. The clock was made at the Harrison workshops in Barton and is considered very rare and attracts interest from far and wide (APC).


SE8821 : St.John the Baptist's nave by Richard Croft SE8821 : St.John the Baptist's nave by Richard Croft
The arch between tower and nave incorporates Roman stones. The nave arcades are of the 12C, but the aisles were rebuilt in the 14C. The south doorway to the nave is in Early English style, highly decorated. The chancel, vestry and porch were added or rebuilt when the church was restored by J.O.Scott in 1887. As you enter the timber porch there is on the floor a copy of the medieval maze made in 1887; it also appears in a stained glass window above the altar (Fisher).


SE8821 : St.John the Baptist's font by Richard Croft SE8821 : Stiff leaf capital by Richard Croft SE8821 : Ancient stonework by Richard Croft
Some details: first the font, which has a Norman bowl, then a stiff-leaf capital in the south arcade (Pevsner), and thirdly a stone with what is either Anglo-Saxon interlace (Pevsner) or a Roman design, below floor level near the tower arch.


The oak reredos behind the Altar was made by Thompson of Kilburn in the early 1920s. His signature mouse can be seen on the right hand upright (APC).

SE8821 : Alkborough War Memorial by Richard Croft SE8821 : Churchyard Cross by Richard Croft
In the churchyard there is a war memorial and a grotesquely weathered cross of gritstone; part of the wear has been caused by the sharpening of blades. See imagesofengland: IoE linkExternal link


West Halton Lane

This road goes eastwards from the village towards West Halton.

csq 35 SE883215

SE8821 : The Old Windmill by David Wright
The windmill tower was built of red brick in the early 19C. It has four storeys, with steps to the entrance. There are two windows to each storey, with segmental arches, and there is a stepped and cogged brick eaves cornice. Roof covering and most floors are missing; surviving internal fittings include three millstones in situ on the first floor.


For another view see: IoE linkExternal link

csq 64 SE886214

Alkborough Cricket Club was formed around 1850, playing their home games on a field called Westcroft in front of Walcot Hall. In 1965 the club moved to its present ground on West Halton Lane.

Front Street


csq 26 SE882216

SE8821 : Alkborough Wesleyan Chapel by Steve Parker
The former Wesleyan Chapel was built on the west side of the road in 1840, with a front of grey brick, grey at the front with details in stucco including arches over the three first-floor windows, a ring motif over the outer windows and a date plaque over the central one. Also onion-dome finials on the kneeler at each side of the gable-end. The sides of the building are of yellow brick.


The Primitive Methodists built their first chapel in 1827, and they built one in 1864 almost opposite the Wesleyan Chapel. It has been converted into a house, and the ground-floor of the front has been mutilated by the insertion of a garage door. IoE linkExternal link

csq 27 SE882217

SE8821 : Former Post Office - Alkborough by David Wright
The former Post Office, which closed in 2006.


csq 28 SE882218

Providence Cottage was built in the 18C or earlier, but was altered in the 19C to provided a higher roof-line and extensions to the right and rear. The datestone is inscribed 'Providence Cottage GF 1829'. See: IoE linkExternal link

Whitton Road


csq 28 SE882218

This road goes north-eastwards from the village towards Whitton. This road was constructed across Sand Field, one of the open fields of Alkborough, in 1768 when the fields were enclosed. Prospect Lane branches off northwards to Prospect Farm, and then westwards to Alkborough Flats. The Dents, a prominent North Lincolnshire Quaker family, owned property centred on Prospect Farm from the early 18th century.

SE8821 : Spring Gate Farm, Alkborough by David Wright
Spring Gate Farm, amongst the suburban houses.


csq 29 SE882219

SE8821 : Alkborough by David Wright
A view westwards along Whitton Road towards the church.



csq 49 SE884219

Huteson Lane goes off to the east, and becomes a field path to Whitton Road in West Halton.

SE8821 : Alkborough School by Steve Parker
Alkborough School. The buildings probably incorporate the National School that was built at the expense of the Goulton family to accommodate 120 children in 1874. There was an influx of pupils from Whitton when that school closed on 8 Jan 1943. This was supposed to be a temporary wartime closure due to a shortage of teachers, but the school never re-opened.


The village signs are made of old bricks from Flats Farm (APC).

SE8921


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


SE8921 : Public Footpath by Steve Parker
Footpath towards the boundary at csq 57.


Exploring Northing 22

SE8622


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


SE8622 : Alkborough Flats and Trent Falls by Steve Parker
A view down into this square.


csq 53 SE865223

SE8823 : Alkborough Flats Flood Defences by Gordon Kneale Brooke
The breach in the flood defences. The embankment was deliberately breached on 11 September 2006 as part of the Alkborough Flats Project. This will create 440 hectares of new intertidal habitats adjacent to the Humber Estuary on an area of agricultural land. Existing flood defences which have protected the site since the 1950s are being removed to allow water back on to the land. A key objective of the project is to transform the present arable land into new grassland and estuary habitats to be managed by grazing to enhance biodiversity. The project at Alkborough is intended to deliver new areas of habitat to compensate for losses of habitat from the Natura 2000 site resulting from sea level rise. In addition there are major benefits in reducing extreme water levels in the estuary and tidal rivers resulting from this project.



SE8722


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


Alkborough Flats


SE8722 : Alkborough Flats by Steve Parker SE8722 : Alkborough Flats by David Wright SE8722 : Alkborough Flatts by David Wright
The first image was taken in May 2005, the second image shows work in progress on the flood defence scheme in August 2005, and the third was taken in September 2006 following the inauguration of the scheme.


SE8722 : Alkborough Flats in Winter by David Wright
Flooding on Alkborough Flats in February 2007.



csq 83 SE878223

SE8722 : Alkborough Flats in Winter by David Wright SE8721 : The Flooded Flats at Alkborough by David Wright
More views of the Flats when the area is flooded.


csq 91 SE879221

SE8722 : Alkborough Sewage Treatment Plant by David Wright
The village was provided with a sewage works in the 1960s.


SE8822


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


Whitton Road


This road goes north-eastwards from the village towards Whitton. This road was constructed across one of the open fields of Alkborough in 1768, when the fields were enclosed.

csq 51 SE885221

The Old Vicarage.

csq 64 SE886224

SE8822 : The Road to Alkborough by Steve Parker
The road gradually descends through arable land. This view is looking SW back towards the village.


The lane down to Alkborough Flats


csq 00 SE880220

SE8822 : The Road down to Alkborough Flats by David Wright
This lane led to Flatts Farm, and is now the access road to the sewage works; it is also a public footpath.



csq 03 SE880223

SE8822 : On Alkborough Flats by David Wright
The lane gives access to this path along the new flood embankment.



Footpath along the edge


This footpath starts at Prospect farm and runs along the edge of the escarpment. There should be good views over the coastal plain, such as in the next image.

csq 45 SE884225

SE8723 : Site of Flatts farm SE8723 from old observation shelter by Michael Yeats
The structure on the right was an observation shelter from WW2 when the land was used for bombing runs. The site of Flatts Farm is in the distance, just to the left of the centre of the image.



csq 89 SE888229

SE8822 : No Through Road by Steve Parker
A lane leads NW from Whitton Road to this gate. According to the 1:25000 map the footpath along the edge goes across on the far side of the gate. The lane, in SE8823, becomes an unfenced track that zig-zags down the steep hillside (visible on the maps.live aerial photograph) to a private road leading from Sand Pit Lane, in the village, to the coast.


SE8922


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


SE8922 : SE8922 by Steve Parker SE8922 : Crop Spraying near Alkborough by David Wright
A square that is nearly all fields, with no rights-of-way....


csq 09 SE890229

SE8922 : The Road to Alkborough by David Wright
...but with a short length of Whitton Road.



Exploring Northing 23

SE8623


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


On land there is only the sea bank, with a public footpath along it.

csq 54 SE865234

SE8623 : Trent Falls Light by Dr Neil Clifton
Out in the estuary, the Trent Falls Light is just within the Alkborough (and Lincolnshire) boundary.



SE8623 : Source of the Humber by Steve Parker
Alkborough Flats and a distant view of the Trent Falls Light.


SE8723


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


csq 30 SE873230

Here was Flatts Farm, which was abandoned by tenant farmers in the 1920s and fell into disrepair.

csq 13 SE871233

Here the sea bank becomes a public footpath.

SE8823


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


csq 16 SE881236

SE8823 : The Clough by Steve Parker SE8823 : The Clough too by Steve Parker SE8823 : Between High & Low Water at the Clough by Steve Parker
The Clough is an inlet with a sluice used to drain water from Alkborough Flats into the River Humber. Just to the west of it there is a navigation beacon; I think the access to it must be what is shown a a 'Pier' on the 1889 six-inch map.


csq 99 SE889239

SE8823 : The Public Footpath to Alkborough by David Wright
I am not sure that this path is within the Alkborough boundary, but a new public footpath is cause for celebration!



SE8823 : The Humber Bank by David Wright SE8823 : Alkborough Flats by David Wright
I would have expected a public footpath along this sea bank, as in Whitton to the east (called the Devil's Causeway, the Devil a good guy for once?).


SE8923


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright


Whitton Road

csq 20 SE892230

The road was constructed when the open fields were enclosed in the late 18C. It met a similar road in Whitton, and there is a characteristic kink at the parish boundary where the roads meet.

SE8923 : Near Spot Height 43m by David Wright
A view of the countryside here....



SE8923 : Near Spot Height 43m - September by David Wright
... and another similar view.


csq 11 SE891231

SE8923 : Pete's Pig by Steve Parker
A free-range pig, not confined to a tiny pen; a reminder to make sure you buy British reared pork and bacon!

KML
You are not logged in login | register
donations welcome!