Beam Engines in the UK
- Anson Engine Museum, Poynton, Cheshire
- Armley mills, Leeds Industrial Museum, Leeds, West Yorkshire
- Black Country Museum, Dudley, West Midlands
- Bolton Steam Museum, Bolton, Lancashire
- Bredgar and Wormshill Light Railway, Bredgar, Sittingbourne, Kent
- Bressingham steam Museum, Diss, Norfolk
- Bridewell Museum, Norwich, Norfolk
- Cambridge Museum of Technology, Cheddars Lane, Cambridge
- Coldharbour Mill Working Wool Museum, Uffculme, Devon
- Dean Heritage Centre, Soudley, Cinderford, Gloucestershire
- Derby Industrial Museum, Derby
- Ellenroad Engine House, New Hey, Rochdale, Lancashire
- Forncett Industrial Steam Museum, Forncett St Mary, Norfolk
- Glasgow Museum of Transport, Kelvin Hall, Glasgow
- Helmshore Textile Museums, Helmshore, Rossendale, Lancashire
- Hollycombe Steam Collection and Gardens, Liphook, Hampshire
- IGMT - Blists Hill Victorian Town Museum, Madeley, Shropshire
- IGMT - Enginuity, Coalbrookdale, Shropshire
- Locomotion - The National Railway Museum at Shildon, Shildon, County Durham
- Markham Grange Steam Museum, Brodsworth, South Yorkshire
- Museum of Science & Industry in Manchester, Castlefield, Manchester
- National Museum of Scotland, Edinburgh
- Nottingham Industrial Museum, Wollaton Park, Nottingham
- Poldark Mine & Heritage centre, Wendron, near Helston, Cornwall
- The Steam Museum, Preston, Canterbury, Kent
- Science Museum, South Kensington, London
- Scottish Mining Museum, Lady Victoria Colliery, Newtongrange, Midlothian
- Snibston Discovery Park, Coalville, Leicestershire
- The Museum of Somerset, Taunton, Castle, Taunton, Somerset
- The Steam Museum, Lodge Park, Straffan, Co Kildare, Eire
- Strumpshaw Steam Museum & Farm Machinery Collection, Strumpshaw, near Norwich, Norfolk
- Summerlee Heritage Park, Coatbridge, Lanarkshire
- Thinktank - The Birmingham Museum of Science & Discovery, Birmingham
- The Waterworks Museum, Broomy Hill, Hereford
- Engines preserved in situ
- Abbey Pumping Station, Leicester
- Beeleigh Mill, Maldon, Essex
- Blagdon Pumping Station, Blagdon, North Somerset
- British Engineerium, Hove, East Sussex
- Claymills Pumping Station, Stretton, Burton upon Trent, Staffordshire
- Coleham Pumping Station, Longden, Shrewsbury, Shropshire
- Combe Mill, Blenheim Estate, Witney, Oxfordshire
- Cornish Mines and Engines Industrial Discovery Centre, Pool, Redruth, Cornwall
- Crofton Pumping Station, Crofton, Marlborough, Wiltshire
- Dogdyke Pumping Station, Bridge Farm, Sleaford, Lincolnshire
- Eastney Beam Engine House, Eastney, Portsmouth, Hampshire
- Etruria Industrial Museum, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire
- Kew Bridge steam Museum, Brentford, Middlesex
- Levant Mine, Trewellard, Pendeen, near St Just, Cornwall
- Markfield Pumping Station, Tottenham, London
- Middleton Top Engine House, Middleton by Wirksworth, Derbyshire
- Midleton Distillery, Midleton, County Cork, Eire
- Papplewick Pumping Station, Ravenhead, Nottingham
- Pinchbeck Marsh Engine & Land Drainage Museum, Pinchbeck, Spalding, Lincolnshire
- Prestongrange Industrial Heritage Museum, Prestonpans, East Lothian
- Quarry Bank Mill and Styal Country Park, Styal, Wilmslow, Cheshire
- Shore Road Pumping Station, Woodside, Birkenhead
- Stretham Old Engine, Stretham, near Ely, Cambridgeshire
- Tees Cottage Pumping Station, Darlington, County Durham
- ENGINES ACCESSIBLE BY APPOINTMENT
- Beamish Regional Store, Beamish, County Durham
- Crossness Pumping Station, Belvedere Road, Abbey Wood, London
- Elsecar Heritage Centre, Wath Road, Elsecar, Barnsley, South Yorkshire
- Garlogie Mill Power House Museum, Garlogie, Skene Aberdeenshire
- National Museums Collection Centre (National Museums of Scotland), Granton, Edinburgh
- University of Bath, Claverton Down, Bath
- ENGINES PRESERVED OUTDOORS
- Aston Expessway, Birmingham
- Loughborough University, Loughborough
- Napier's Marine Engine, Dumbarton
- Renfrew, Ferry Green, by River Clyde
- University of Glamorgan, Treforest, South Wales
- THE END of part 1
- King Edward Mine Museum, Troon, Cornwall
- Heartlands, Robinson's Shaft, Pool, Cornwall
- Goonvean China Clayworks, near St Stephen, Cornwall
- Parkandillick Clayworks, near St Stephen, Cornwall
- Isle of Wight Museum Stores, Cothey Cottom, Ryde, Isle of Wight
- Swansea Museum, Swansea
- Private collection, Somerton, Somerset
- L Shed, Princess Wharf, Bristol
- Glyn Pits, Pontypool,Torfaen
- Southampton City Council museum store, Southampton
- Wrotham Park Estate Workshops, Wrotham Park, Hertfordshire
This is another well photographed site on this site.
SK3155 : Leawood Pumphouse In Steam SK3155 : Admiring the Cylinder
SK3155 : Leawood Pump SK3155 : Leawood Pumphouse
SK3155 : Leawood Pumping Station
TF2055 : Dogdyke pumping station TF2055 : Dogdyke beam engine
TF2055 : Scoopwheel, Dogdyke pumping station TF2055 : Scoopwheel discharge
SZ6799 : Eastney Pumping Station in steam SZ6799 : Inside Eastney pumping station
SZ6799 : Eastney Pumping Station, beam engine SZ6799 : Eastney Pumping Station - the beam floor
The pumping station also exhibits and steams a single cylinder grasshopper beam engine formerly on display at the Havant Works of the Portsmouth Waterworks Company. This was built by Easton, Amos & Anderson c1860s and the cylinder is 12" x 16".
SZ6799 : Eastney Pumping Station - grasshopper beam engine
SJ8746 : Etruria Industrial Museum to be. SJ8746 : Etruria Industrial Museum
SJ8746 : Beam engine Princess SJ8746 : Princess Beam Engine
SJ8746 : Princess Beam Engine
TQ1878 : Kew Bridge Steam Museum TQ1878 : Kew Bridge Steam Museum
This is home to the world's largest collection of Cornish cycle beam engines, two-offsite rotative beam pumping engines and a variety of other non-beam steam engines.
The site's first steam engine was ordered from Maudslay Sons & Field of Lambeth in 1836 and was reported as complete by February 1839. The contract price was £7550. The engine was converted to the high-pressure Cornish cycle in 1846-7. The engine ran until 1944 and was restored to steam in 1985. The cylinder is 65" bore with a 96" stroke and it pumped 2.5 million gallons per day. The beam weighs 20 tons.
TQ1878 : Kew Bridge Steam Museum - the Maudslay engine
The next engine to be installed was actually older and relocated from the waterworks at Chelsea. It was built in 1820 by Boulton & Watt of Birmingham and was moved to Kew in 1839-40. Its sister engine was relocated in 1841-43 but was scrapped in 1946. It was converted to the Cornish cycle in 1847-48 and remained in service until 1944. It was the first of the engines to be returned to steam in 1975 and is still a regular performer. The cylinder is 64" bore x 96" stroke and it, too, pumped 2.5 million gallons per day.
TQ1878 : Boulton & Watt pumping engine, Kew Bridge Steam Museum
Next up was the 'Grand Junction' 90" engine built in 1846 by Sandys Carne & Vivian of Hayle. This was the first engine built especially in Cornwall for waterworks duty and was then the world's biggest waterworks engine. This magnificent machine has a cylinder 902 bore x 132" stroke, the beam weighs 32 tons and it pumped 6.4 million gallons per day at 4.5 strokes per minute. It was returned to steam in 1976 and was initially very sprightly but has since been adjusted so that it makes the power stroke more slowly.
TQ1878 : Kew Bridge Steam Museum - 'the 90'
The last and largest of Kew's engines is the 100" that was ordered in 1869 and commissioned in 1871. It was built by Harvey & Co of Hayle and was on standby from the 1940s and last ran in 1958. It is now silent and there are no active plans for its restoration although this was the subject of a seminar some years ago. The cylinder is 100" bore x 132" stroke, the beam weighs 54 tons and it pumped 7.5 million gallons per day.
TQ1878 : The 100" Cornish Engine, Kew Bridge Steam Museum
The first of the off-site engines to be re-erected was a Woolf compound rotative from the Cliftonville Pumping station, Northampton. Built 1863 by Easton & Amos of Southwark, it last worked c1930 and was returned to steam at Kew in 1978. The cylinders are 17.5" x 40" & 30" x 60", the flywheel is 18' diameter and it is rated at 60 horsepower.
TQ1878 : Kew Bridge Steam Museum - Woolf compound beam engine
The last of the off-site beam engines is a unique twin cylinder six-column engine built in 1867 by J C Kay of bury for the Dancer's End works on Lord Rothchild's estate near Tring. The cylinders are 14" x 30", the flywheel is 11' diameter and it was rated at 36 horsepower. It last worked c1930 and was returned to steam in 1979.
TQ1878 : Kew Bridge Steam Museum, Dancer's End beam engine
Located outside on the upper garden is the preserved cast iron latticework beam from the 1853 Harvey built 72" Cornish engine installed at Hammersmith Pumping Station. This is, as far as I know, unique.
TQ1878 : Hammersmith beam.
SW3634 : Levant Mine
This National Trust property is home to a double acting beam winding engine built in 1840 by Harvey & Co of Hayle with a 24" x 48" cylinder and double beat Cornish valves. The winding drums are outside the house. It last ran commercially in 1930 and was then disused for 60 or so years before its restoration to steam.
SW3634 : Whim engine, Levant SW3634 : Levant Mine - one man and his engine
SW3634 : Levant Mine - the beam floor
TQ3488 : Markfield Road Pumping Station, South Tottenham, London N15
This former sewage pumping station is home to a unique eight column, Woolf compound beam pumping engine built in 1886 by Wood Bros of Sowerby Bridge, Yorkshire. The piston valve cylinders are 20" x 51" and 35" x 72" and the high pressure has a manually adjusted cut-off valve driven via a differential gear arrangement. The beam is a riveted box girder and the flywheel is a massive 28' diameter. It developed 100 horsepower and drove two plunger pumps, It has recently been restored, repainted and returned to steam operation. The pictures show it in its former (blue and white) and current liveries - the latter is based on the original colours discovered during restoration.
TQ3488 : Steam pumping engine, Markfield Road, Tottenham TQ3488 : Steam engine, Markfield Road Pumping Station
TQ3488 : Markfield road Pumping Station
SK2755 : Middleton Top - Engine house SK2755 : Middleton Top - Engine House
This building dating from 1829 is home to a hugely important engine that hauled railway wagons up the adjoining incline on the Cromford & High Peak Railway. The year - 1829 - was the same year as the Rainhill trials and rope haulage by stationary engines was also used contemporaneously at Edge Hill, Liverpool and Camden, London. This was a period when the locomotive's ability was still in doubt and dates to the earliest period of mechanically hauled railways. That the Middleton top engine ran until 1963 is little short of miraculous and it is a good thing that its importance was then recognised and it was saved for the nation. It was built by the Butterley Company, not far away and the two cylinders are 23" x 61" and it ran at a mere 5 psi but was condensing. It is now operated occasionally on compressed air. The two adjoining Cornish boilers are well past their usefulness and the engine was latterly run from a locomotive acting as a stationary boiler.
SK2755 : Middleton Top - Inside Engine house SK2755 : Middleton Top - Inside Engine house
SK2755 : Middleton Top engine house SK2755 : Archaeologists go in deeper!
W8873 : Jameson's Old Distillery, Midleton
This site was home to two beam engines but one was moved to The Steam Museum at Straffan and the other was restored and is now part of the tour at this preserved distillery. It was all at best semi-derelict when I saw it in 1985 and a revisit is overdue. The surviving engine is a six-column, tank-bed single cylinder engine claimed to be c1830s vintage and installed secondhand before 1866. It was on standby until 1972. The drop valve cylinder is c24" x 36" and the flywheel is 16' diameter. Perhaps somebody will post a picture of it as restored.
W8873 : Beam engine, Midleton Distillery
SK5852 : Papplewick Pumping Station
This magnificent monument to civic pride houses two highly decorated single cylinder beam engines built in 1884 by James Watt & Co. These were arguably obsolete when installed but gave sterling service and operated until 1969. The drop valve cylinders are 46" x 90" and the flywheels are 20' diameter. They were good for 170 horsepower. They are still run on several steam days each year and are a magnificent site.
SK5852 : Temple of steam - Papplewick Pumping Station SK5852 : Beams of the engine at Papplewick
SK5852 : Temple of steam - the packing flat SK5852 : The ornate interior of Papplewick pumping station
TF2626 : Pinchbeck Pumping station TF2626 : Pinchbeck pumping station
TF2626 : The scoop wheel, Pinchbeck Pumping Station TF2626 : Lancashire boiler, Pinchbeck Pumping station
TF2626 : Pinchbeck Pumping Station
SX8383 : Former engine house, Canonteign mine: 1 NT3773 : Beam engine at Prestongrange Mining Museum
NT3773 : Cornish beam engine, Prestongrange NT3773 : Cornish beam engine Prestongrange
NT3773 : Cornish beam engine, Prestongrange
] SJ8382 : Quarry Bank Mill, Styal SJ8382 : Quarry Bank Mill, Styal
SJ8382 : Waterwheel, Quarry Bank Mill SJ8383 : Quarry Bank Mill, Styal - beam engine
( Page < < prev 1 2 3 4 5 next >> )