Geograph for Developers
If you know what any of the following mean, and have an interest in helping out, then please get in touch
It's what Geograph Germany did :)
It could be a lot of work, but we can attest to how fun and rewarding it can be! We would love to see more projects, and will do what we can to assist.
Anyone can run these, with a bit of PHP/MySQL, and a webserver. Great a portal showcasing images on your own favorite topic.
Get the Code at: github.com/barryhunter/geoportal - and customise as needed.
But even if don't want to use the geoportal as a foundation, can still use the API directly to access images, see below. (or for large quantities of images, use the downloads)
- Developers Virtual Machine (see below) - run a copy of Geograph locally to experiment
- Live API - ondemand access to Geograph Data
- Data Downloads - load our data into your mysql database
- SVN Repository
(more: Geograph Hub)
torrents download site or read more
- All you need is the (free) VMplayer application, and can run Geograph locally in a matter of minutes.
See also the Geograph-API-Users Google Discussion Group
Big Ideas for Geograph, which lists a number of ideas for projects involving geograph data and/or the geograph website; particully suited to work by an new or external developer.
- Android/iPhone mobile Application - submit and browse images on the move
- Flash based Image viewers (lots of possibilities here...)
- Statistics - we have the weblogs, just not the application to process them (aside from generic stats pages like awstats) - looking for a solution to give per photo/user breakdowns)
- Develop new educational games (ideally incorporating our photos and maps!)
- and anything else you can think off!
... then there of course is the ongoing grammar and typo updates for documentation etc, and compatibility testing of all ongoing features ...