Great War Centenary

( Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright July 2016, John M; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


Contents

Scottish General Hospitals


Aberdeen's Military Hospitals

The 1st Scottish General Hospital was headquartered at the Girl's High School(now Harlaw Academy)with wards at the Central School. The largest section was at the Oldmill Poorhouse with 1060 beds.

NJ9305 : Harlaw Academy by Bill Harrison NJ9305 : East Pavilion, Harlaw Academy by Bill Harrison Girls High School NJ9306 : Old Central School by Colin Smith Central School
NJ8906 : Woodend Hospital (originally Oldmill Poorhouse), Aberdeen by Bill Harrison NJ8906 : Woodend Hospital by Bill Harrison NJ8906 : Woodend Hospital (east wing) by Bill Harrison Oldmill Poor Law Institute

Edinburgh's Military Hospital

The 2nd Scottish General Hospital occupied the Craigleith Poorhouse (now part of Western General) providing 1000 beds.

NT2274 : Hospital building, Western General Hospital by kim traynor NT2275 : Clock tower, Western General Hospital by kim traynor NT2375 : Paderewski building, Western General Hospital by kim traynor Craigleith

Glasgow's Military Hospital

The Poor Law Hospital at Stobhill was split between the 3rd and 4th Scottish General Hospitals providing 1700 beds. Casualty trains could bring patients directly onto a siding on the site.

NS6168 : Stobhill Hospital by Lairich Rig NS6168 : Stobhill Hospital - Clock Tower by G Laird NS6168 : Clock Tower, Stobhill Hospital, Springburn by Chris Upson NS6168 : Stobhill Hospital by Thomas Nugent NS6168 : Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow by Leslie Barrie NS6168 : The Old Medical Refectory, Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow by Leslie Barrie

London General Hospitals


Four Territorial Force hospitals had been planned for London with a fifth opened in March 1915.

The 1st London General Hospital was based in St Gabriels College and Cormont Secondary School on Cormont Road, Camberwell. Further expansion was with huts erected in Myatts Fields for 520 patients. The medical and nursing staff were seconded from St Bartholomew's Hospital.

TQ3176 : Chapel, St Gabriel's Manor, Cormont Road by Robin Stott St Gabriels College
TQ3176 : Charles Edward Brooke Girls' School, Cormont Road by Marathon TQ3176 : Camberwell, former school by Mike Faherty TQ3176 : School-keeper's house, Cormont Road by Robin Stott TQ3176 : Charles Edward Brooke Girls' School by Marathon
Cormont Secondary School

The 2nd London General Hospital was based at St Mark's College, Chelsea and the adjoining secondary school. An opening through a perimeter wall provided direct access to a platform at Chelsea Station. A further section was based at St Thomas's Hospital. The medical and nursing staff were seconded from Guy's, London and St Thomas's Hospitals.

TQ2577 : Former college building on Fulham Road by Thomas Nugent TQ2677 : London : Chelsea - Fulham Road by Lewis Clarke St Mark's College
TQ2677 : Chelsea Boys School (former), SW10 by Phillip Perry Sloane School

The 3rd London General Hospital was based at the Royal Victoria Patriotic School, Wandsworth. The accommodation within the building was augmented by an encampment of corrugated iron hutted wards in the grounds and adjacent public space. The hospital provided space for 1800 patients with its own railway siding for ambulance trains. The medical and nursing staff were seconded from the Middlesex, University College and St Mary's Hospitals.

TQ2674 : Wandsworth, Royal Victoria Patriotic Building by Mike Faherty TQ2674 : The Royal Victoria Patriotic Building, detail above the front door. by tristan forward TQ2674 : Former chapel, Royal Victoria Patriotic Asylum by Derek Harper Royal Victoria Patriotic School

The 4th London General Hospital was based at the newly opened King's College Hospital, Camberwell. Part of the building continued for civilian use. Further expansion saw the new Maudsley Hospital used for neurological cases and two nearby schools and large villas were also requisitioned. A temporary hutted hospital was established in Ruskin Park.

TQ3276 : Hospital Buildings, Bessemer Road SE5 by Robin Sones Kings College Hospital TQ3276 : The Maudsley Hospital, Denmark Hill by Derek Harper Maudsley Hospital TQ3275 : Denmark Hill: Ruskin Park, SE5 by Nigel Cox Ruskin Park

The 5th London General Hospital at St Thomas's Hospital, Lambeth, started with 200 beds attached to the 2nd London General Hospital. Wooden hutted wards were constructed within the courtyards to provide 662 beds.

TQ3079 : St Thomas's Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road (1) by Stephen Richards TQ3079 : South Wing of St Thomas's Hospital by N Chadwick TQ3079 : Block 9 of St Thomas' Hospital, Lambeth by David Anstiss TQ3079 : Block 9 of St Thomas' Hospital, Lambeth (2) by David Anstiss

Canadian Convalescent Hospital


SU7769 : Bearwood Sindlesham by Mick Crawley Bear Wood House, Sindlesham, Berkshire provided 900 convalescent beds for Canadian soldiers.

New Zealand General Hospital No 1


In 1916 the New Zealanders took over the hospitals that had been set up for Indian Troops in 1914 at Brockenhurst, Hampshire. The Kiwis transferred to the Western Front in 1916 after the Gallipoli campaign seeing major action in September as part of the Battle of the Somme.

SU3003 : Balmer Lawn Hotel by Mike Faherty Balmer Lawn Hotel SU2902 : Brockenhurst, Forest Park Hotel by Mike Faherty Forest Park Hotel

KML

( Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... )
You are not logged in login | register