Great War Centenary

( Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright July 2016, John M; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


Contents

War Hospitals


War hospitals were often based in County Lunatic Asylums. From 1915 under the Asylum War Hospital Scheme the asylums were allocated into regional groupings with patients transferred between sites to allow one or more of the institutions to be used as war hospitals. Overcrowding of 5-10% at the receiving hospitals was accepted.

Norfolk War Hospitals

The Norwich area provided four military hospitals. The Norfolk and Norwich Hospital had insufficient capacity from 1915 and was supplemented by the Norfolk Lunatic Asylum at Thorpe St Andrew's, Wayland Union Workhouse at Attleborough and Lakenham Council School (demolished).

TG2207 : Former Norfolk and Norwich Hospital building by Richard Humphrey TG2207 : Apartments in former Norfolk and Norwich Hospital by Richard Humphrey Norfolk & Norwich Hospital
TG2708 : The Norfolk Lunatic Asylum (St Andrew's Hospital) by Evelyn Simak TG2808 : The Norfolk Lunatic Asylum (St Andrew's Hospital) by Evelyn Simak TG2809 : The Norfolk Lunatic Asylum (St Andrew's Hospital) - Annexe by Evelyn Simak TG2809 : The Norfolk Lunatic Asylum (St Andrew's Hospital) - Annexe by Evelyn Simak Norfolk Lunatic Asylum LinkExternal link
TM0396 : Entrance to St Luke's - the former Wayland Hospital by Evelyn Simak Wayland Union Workhouse

Reading's War Hospitals

Reading provided six military hospitals with 2500 beds in two hospitals and four requisitioned schools. Further convalescent hospital support was provided by the Red Cross auxiliary hospitals.

SU6973 : 'Battle Hospital' by Chris McMillan SU6973 : Entrance to the former Battle Hospital, Oxford Road, Reading by Robin Sones War Hospital No 1, Battle Hospital
SU7272 : The Royal Berkshire Hospital by Bill Nicholls SU7272 : Name on the front by Bill Nicholls War Hospital No 6, Royal Berkshire Hospital
SU6973 : Battle school 2 by Bill Nicholls TQ7515 : Former Battle Primary School by Oast House Archive War Hospital No ??, Battle Primary School
SU7172 : Katesgrove Primary School, Dorothy Street by Roger Templeman War Hospital No ??, Katesgrove Primary School

Edinburgh's War Hospitals

In addition to the 2nd Scottish General Hospital the Bangour Asylum provided 2600 beds and Leith Infirmary 585.

NT0270 : Old hospital buildings at Bangour by kim traynor NT0371 : Large building at Bangour Village Hospital by Jim Barton NT0371 : Detail of large building at Bangour Village Hospital by Jim Barton
NT0270 : Buildings at Bangour Hospital by Jim Barton NT0370 : Estate Department building, Bangour Hospital by Jim Barton NT0370 : Boilerhouse, Bangour Village Hospital by Jim Barton Bangour
NT2676 : Former Leith Hospital building by kim traynor Leith Infirmary

Northumberland's War Hospital

St Nicholas's Asylum at Gosforth converted to a war hospital in 1915 eventually providing 1716 beds with accommodation erected in the grounds.

NZ2367 : St Nicholas Hospital by Chris Bell St Nicholas's Asylum

South Yorkshire's War Hospital

The South Yorkshire Asylum at Wadsley Bridge converted to a war hospital in March 1915 providing 1500 beds.

SK3291 : Key Lodge from the former Middlewood Hospital, Sheffield by Terry Robinson SK3191 : Clock Tower, originally part of Middlewood Hospital by Terry Robinson SK3191 : Kingswood Hall, Wadsley Park Village, Middlewood by Terry Robinson SK3191 : Clock Tower Development, Wadsley Park Village, Middlewood by Terry Robinson SK3191 : Kingswood Hall Towers, Wadsley Park Village, Middlewood by Terry Robinson Wharncliffe War Hospital

Lancashire's War Hospitals

The Sixth Lancashire County Asylum, Whalley Asylum at Calderstones near Blackburn was under construction at the declaration of war. On completion the hospital was requisitioned and opened as Queen Mary’s Military Hospital in April 1915 and would provide 2000 beds. The military cemetery has 33 Great War graves.

SD7236 : Calderstones Hospital, Plaque by Alexander P Kapp SD7237 : Calderstones Bell by Alexander P Kapp Calderstones Hospital
SD7237 : Entrance to Ribble Valley Remembrance Park by Alexander P Kapp SD7237 : Lychgate and chapels, Calderstones Cemetery by Alexander P Kapp SD7237 : Military section of Calderstones Cemetery by Alexander P Kapp SD7237 : War Memorial, Calderstones Military Cemetery by Alexander P Kapp Military Cemetery

The Fifth Lancashire County Asylum, Winwick Asylum near Warrington opened in May 1915. The buildings have largely been demolished for housing in the 1990s.

SJ6092 : Winwick Chapel by Mike Lyne RC chapel

Bristol's War Hospital

The Bristol Lunatic Asylum at Stapleton was taken over as the Beaufort War Hospital.

ST6276 : Bristol Glenside Hospital Church by ChurchCrawler ST6276 : Glenside Hospital chimney and tower. by Chris Allen

London's War Hospitals

The Surrey County Lunatic Asylum in Wandsworth was taken over as the Springfield War Hospital.

TQ2772 : Springfield University Hospital (main building) by David Anstiss TQ2772 : Block 15 of Springfield University Hospital by David Anstiss TQ2772 : Block 14 of Springfield University Hospital by David Anstiss Springfield Hospital

Greenock's War Hospital

The Smithston Poorhouse and Asylum was taken over as a war hospital in 1915.

NS2575 : Ravenscraig Hospital by Thomas Nugent NS2575 : Ravenscraig Hospital by Thomas Nugent NS2575 : Ravenscraig Hospital by Thomas Nugent NS2575 : Admin Building Ravenscraig Hospital Greenock by John Ferguson

Cardiff's War Hospital

The Cardiff City Asylum opened in June 1915 as the Welsh Metropolitan War Hospital. Existing patients had been transferred to other institutions as far away as Hereford and Gloucester.

ST1480 : Whitchurch Hospital by Mick Lobb ST1480 : Whitchurch hospital and bowling green by Gareth James ST1480 : Entrance lodge, Whitchurch Hospital, Cardiff by Jaggery ST1480 : Church in the grounds of Whitchurch Hospital by Mick Lobb

Birmingham's War Hospitals

The Rubery Hill and Hollymoor Lunatic Asylums were taken over as Birmingham No 1 and No 2 War Hospitals opening in July 1915. Inmates were moved out to other institutions including Cheddleton, Staffordshire. From 1917 Hollymoor focussed on orthopaedic cases and continued in this role until 1922.

SP0078 : Water Tower, Hollymoor Hospital, Northfield, Birmingham by Andrew Clayton Hollymoor Hospital

Shropshire's War Hospital

The Shrewsbury and Atcham Workhouse at Cross Houses was taken over in March 1916. From September it became the Berrington War Hospital taking its name from the nearby railway station. The hospital provided 400 beds and acted as administration centre for the associated auxiliary hospitals in the neighbouring counties. Ambulance trains from Dover and Southampton would deliver patients to the station with the workhouse bell rung for assistance to transport casualties to the hospital.

SJ5307 : Converted into flats by Row17 SJ5307 : Berrington/Cross Houses Station circa 2010 by Row17

Carlisle's War Hospital

The Carlisle Union Workhouse on Fusehill Street was taken over as a War Hospital in October 1917 becoming the Fusehill Military Hospital. The hospital provided 400 beds with a further 250 beds in the Brook Street and Norman Street Schools. The hospital closed in June 1919.

NY4055 : Skiddaw Building, University of Cumbria by Rose and Trev Clough NY4055 : School and Music Centre, Edward Street by Richard Dorrell NY4155 : Inscribed gateposts, Norman Street School by Rose and Trev Clough

KML

( Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... )
You are not logged in login | register