Great War Centenary

( Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright July 2016, John M; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


Contents

Voluntary Support

Auxiliary Hospitals


Over 3000 hospitals were established under the auspices of the Joint War Committee of the Red Cross and Order of St John's to take convalescing soldiers from the military hospitals. Staffing of these was mainly voluntary with support from the local communities to raise additional funding.

NS8744 : William Smellie Memorial Hospital by David Hamilton SJ4094 : The Queen Anne Wing, Croxteth Hall by Sue Adair TF4065 : Franklin Hall Halton Road by Jo Turner SO0351 : St Mary's Church Hall by Phil Jones

Approximately 1500 of the buildings used are known to survive ranging from stately homes, civic and public halls, vicarages and private houses. The article records over 650 of these.

LinkExternal link

War Hospital Supply Depots


SX9192 : The Guildhall by David Stowell
In the first year of the war supplies of bandages and other supplies were made or collected by a wide range of groups. In Devon the Ladies Linen Leagues associated with hospitals were in the forefront. Within a month of the declaration of war the Lady Mayoress of Exeter and her working party had supplied nearly 5000 items to the Linen League for Belgian refugees and soldiers at the front. The working party moved from the Guildhall to the vacant shop premises of the Domestic Bazaar Company next door.

TQ2980 : Burlington House, Piccadilly by Paul Gillett

With growing numbers of casualties the Central Work Rooms were established in 1915 in the Royal Academy's Burlington House in Piccadilly to co-ordinate the efforts of volunteer groups.

SJ8417 : The Old Vicarage by John M SX8860 : Community College, Paignton by Tom Jolliffe SJ8497 : 73 Whitworth Street, Manchester by Stephen Richards TQ2278 : Godolphin and Latymer School by PAUL FARMER
TF6624 : Trinity Hospital by John M SK4256 : Carnfield Hall by Ann B ST9431 : Fonthill House, Fonthill Bishop ca 1980 by Ronald Searle TQ3469 : Anerley Town Hall by Philip Talmage
NT4668 : Saltoun Hall by kim traynor TL5829 : Horham Hall from the air by Thomas Nugent TL2113 : Brocket Hall by Bikeboy TQ1730 : Listed building, Market Place by N Chadwick
SU8695 : Hughenden Manor, Buckinghamshire by Christine Matthews SP8900 : Missenden Abbey by Des Blenkinsopp SP6429 : Church and priory, Chetwode by Andrew Smith SS7249 : The Tors Hotel in Lynmouth by Steve Daniels

Work Parties gathered in rectories, public buildings and private houses to hand make bedclothes, gowns, nightshirts and bandages for hospitals. More than 2700 were registered with the Red Cross and Order of St John.

The War Hospital Supply Depot at 8 The Causeway in Horsham operated from 1915 to 1918 with volunteers able to work their own hours up to six hours per day and six days per week producing 335,169 articles including bandages, surgeons gowns, swabs, pneumonia jackets and pyjamas. Money was raised through appeals, exhibitions and fetes.

KML

( Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... )
You are not logged in login | register