The Great Yarmouth Rows today

( Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... )
Text © Copyright Evelyn Simak, October 2018
Images are under a separate Creative Commons Licence.


Rows 78 - 86


Row 78 (Pot in Hand Row aka Starling the Hatter's Row) ran from Howard Street to King Street and was named after the Pot in Hand public house which was located at 170 King Street, at the eastern end of the row. Other names on record for this row are Cambridge Row (in 1866), Bett's Row (in 1867) and Brown the Grocer's Row. The entrance passages at both ends are still in place and a row of sheds in-between denotes the row's course. The row houses were demolished to make way for the King Street car park.

TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 78 (Pot in Hand Row) by Evelyn Simak
This is the Howard Street South (western) end of Row 78 as seen from the eastern end of Row 77. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak



TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 78 (Pot in Hand Row) by Evelyn Simak
View along the site of this row most of which has been demolished. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak



TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 78 (Pot in Hand Row) by Evelyn Simak
View west from the King Street (eastern side) where the row is still in place. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


Row 79 (Pot in Hand Row South) linked Howard and King Streets and at various times was also known as Jolly Maltsters Row, Lobster Row and Three Pigeons Row. Several of the names of the row referred to the Three Pigeons public house (renamed The Lobster and later The Jolly Maltsters) located at the row's south-western corner.

Row 80 (Harmer's Row) linked Howard and King streets. One of its names is derived from Robert Harmer, a bailiff, but at various times the row was also known as Hardware's Row (after the owner of a large Elizabethan house fronting King Street between Rows80 and 82), Worship's North Row, Worship the Attorney's North Row, Miss Patterson's Row, Harbord the Pastrycook's Row and Lone the Pawnbroker's Row.

Row 81 (Crome's Row aka John Berney's Row) links King Street and Deneside. It is named after John Berney (or Barney) Crome (17941842), an English landscape and marine painter who had been appointed as landscape painter to the Duke of Sussex. He had moved from Norwich to Great Yarmouth in 1835. At various times the row, which is still in place, was also known as Lettis' Row, Rumble the China Dealer's Row and Meyrick's Row.



Row 82 (Swindon the Historian's Row) linked Howard and King streets and was named after one of the town's eminent historians, Henry Swindon, who in the 18th century lived at the rows western end. Other names recorded for this row were Worship South Row, Worship the Attorney's South Row and Baptist Meeting North Row.

Row 83 (Sayers the Attorney's Row) ran from Middlegate Street to 4 South Quay. Its western end passes through a passage on the right-hand corner of the Elizabethan House Museum where the wooden rubbing strake, placed there in order to prevent damage caused by the wheels of horse-drawn carts, is still in place.

TG5207 : 4 South Quay - The Elizabethan House Museum by Evelyn Simak
This Grade I listed building dates from 1596. The arched gateway at right is the western entrance to Row 83 (Sayers the Attorney's Row). LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak





TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 83 (Sayers the Attorney's Row) by Evelyn Simak
A wooden rubbing strake which prevented damage caused by the wheels of horse-drawn carts is still in place. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 83 (Sayers the Attorney's Row) by Evelyn Simak
The construction seen at left is a wooden rubbing strake which prevented damage to the wall by cart wheels. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


Row 84 (John Ireland's Row) ran from Howard Street to Middlegate Street. This short row, which now is a mixture of new and old houses, is named after John Ireland, who was mayor of Yarmouth in 1716 and lived at 4 Middlegate Street at the south-western corner of the row. The house later became The Ship Tavern which closed in 2010.


TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 84 (John Ireland's Row) by Evelyn Simak
The detail depicted here forms part of The Lighthouse Medical Centre which adjoins in the south. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak




Row 85 (Sir Sidney Smith's Row) was at varius times also known as Old Library Row, Baptist Meeting South Row, Marsh's Row, Sir Sidney Smith's Row, Arbon the Paiter's Row and Crown and Heart Row, linked King Street and Howard Street. Admiral Sir William Sidney Smith (17641840) was a British naval officer who served in the American and French revolutionary wars. In 1790 he served in the Royal Swedish Navy in the war between Sweden and Russia, and was appointed by King Gustav III to command the light squadron, and to be his principal naval adviser. A public library stood at the north-eastern corner of the row and a small graveyard of the adjacent Bethabara chapel was located on the north side.

TG5207 : Jasiek Lycamobile Pay as you go by Evelyn Simak
The eastern end of Row 85 can be seen in mid-distance. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak




TG5207 : The rear of buildings on King Street by Evelyn Simak
As seen across the northern end of the King Street car park. This was the location of Row 85. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


Row 86 (Fisher's Row aka Fielding's Row and JC Smith's Row) links King Street and Deneside a short distance further to the east. John Fisher was an 18th century merchant and the surgeon Benjamin Fielding later lived in his house at the north-western corner of this short row which is still in place.


KML

( Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... )
You are not logged in login | register