The Great Yarmouth Rows today

( Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 )
Text © Copyright Evelyn Simak, October 2018
Images are under a separate Creative Commons Licence.


Rows 122 - 129


Row 122 (Spread Eagle Row aka Martin the Shoemaker's Row) linked King Street and Middlegate Street. The row, which was named after the Spread Eagle pub at 9 Howard Street, is documented to have survived until the late 19th century but was eventually demolished and overbuilt with Orford Close. The entrance passage at the King Street end is still in place.

TG5207 : 123 King Street - Fresh Halal Meat Shop by Evelyn Simak
The entrance to Row 122 can be seen in the foreground. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak



TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 122 (Spread Eagle Row) by Evelyn Simak
The western end of the passage off King Street. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 122 (Spread Eagle Row) by Evelyn Simak
The passage at the eastern (King Street) end as seen from Orford Close which was built over the location of the row. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


TG5207 : Orford Close, off Tolhouse Street by Evelyn Simak
Orford Close now occupies the location of Rows 121 and 122. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak



Row 123 (John Fisher's Row) ran from Middlegate Street to South Quay. At various times it was also known as Dover Colby's North Wall Row (in 1796), Quay Angel Row (in 1800), Colby's North Row and Fulcher the Pawnbroker's Row. One of its names refers to the Angel public house located at the row's north-western corner at 23 South Quay.

Row 124 (Cat and Monkey Row) linked Middlegate Street and South Quay and at various times was also known as Colby's South Row, Dover Colby's South Wall Row, Trotters Bar Row and Laws and Lamb the Butcher's Row. One of its names refers to the Cat and Monkey public house which was demolished in 1754.

Row 125 (Gun Row aka Mack the Tinsmith's Row) from King Street to Middlegate Street and one of its names is believed to refer to the fact that a gun barrel had been placed as a post to prevent carts from damaging the walls. Today only the entrance passage remains.

TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 125 (Gun Row) by Evelyn Simak
View west from King Street. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 125 (Gun Row) by Evelyn Simak
View west from King Street. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak



TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 125 (Gun Row) by Evelyn Simak
At the eastern end. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak



Row 126 (Robin's Half Row) links King Street and Deneside and was named after John Robin who in 1678 had built a large house on the north side of the row. At various times the row was also known as Kemp's Row, Calver's Row, Goods the Grocer's Row and St Peter's Half Alley. The houses on either side of this alleyway are modern builds.

TG5207 : Flats on the east side of King Street by Evelyn Simak
The gap in the foreground between two houses marks the entrance to Row 126. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 126 (Robin's Half Row) by Evelyn Simak
View east from King Street. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 126 (Robin's Half Row) by Evelyn Simak
View west towards King Street. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak



TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 126 (Robin's Half Row) by Evelyn Simak
As seen from Deneside looking west. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


Row 127 (Scott the Baker's Row) ran from Middlegate Street to King Street and was also known as Thompson's Row, Foundry Row and Yetts Foundry Row, named after Williamm Yetts' foundry which was established in the early 19th century on the row's south side. The row was destroyed during an air raid in 1941.

TG5207 : Flats north of Nottingham Way by Evelyn Simak
This was the location of Row 127. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


Row 128 (Factory Row) linked Middlegate Street and South Quay and at various times was also known as Bond Row, Spanton's Row, Woolverton's Row and Garwood the Glazier's Row. A short alley is still in place at the western (South Quay) end of the row leading to the rear of the Old Merchants House in Row 117. Terraced houses were built on the row's site further to the east.

TG5207 : 35/36 South Quay - the former South Quay Surgery by Evelyn Simak
The gap to the left of the building is the entrance passage to Row 128. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 128 (Factory Row) by Evelyn Simak
View east from South Quay. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak



TG5207 : Great Yarmouth's Rows - Row 128 (Factory Row) by Evelyn Simak
This short entrance passage is all that remains of the row. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


Row 129 (John Taylor's Row aka Gregory Harrison's Row) linked Middlegate Street and South Quay and at various times was also known as Newcastle Tavern Row (the tavern was situated at 41 South Quay), Friends Row, Druids Row and St Peter's Paved West Row. The row no longer exists.

TG5207 : Nottingham Way from the junction with Middlegate by Evelyn Simak
The houses were built on the site of Row 129. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


TG5207 : Flats off South Quay by Evelyn Simak
This was the location of Row 129. LinkExternal link
by Evelyn Simak


KML

( Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 )
You are not logged in login | register