The Hastings line
Shared Description used on 125 images
The Hastings Line links Hastings with Tunbridge Wells and Tonbridge, then onto London Charing Cross. The line was built by South East Railways (SER) and opened fully in 1853, having been constructed in phases. Tonbridge to Tunbridge Wells opened in 1846. Tunbridge Wells to Robertsbridge opened in 1851. Robertsbridge to Battle 1852 and Battle to St Leonards (Bo Peep Junction) 1853. The line was built very quickly (and not very well) and several of the tunnels need constant maintenance even today, several on them are single track.
Shared Description used on 44 images
Tonbridge Station was first built in 1842 by South Eastern Railways with the line coming in from London Bridge via Redhill. Later connections to London via Sevenoaks, Hastings, via Tunbridge Wells and Dover, via Ashford were added making it an important junction. The present station was rebuilt in 1935 with the brick frontage added in 1958.
Shared Description used on 24 images
A 270 yd long brick arched railway viaduct, built by South Eastern Railways (SER) 1844 - 46. It carries the Hastings line ( Link
) between Tonbridge and Tunbridge Wells. It is also known as Powdermills Viaduct, after a former gunpowder mill nearby. For more information see - Link
It is a Grade II structure. Link
High Brooms station
Shared Description used on 31 images
High Brooms railway station is on the Hastings Line ( Link
). It serves the northern suburbs of Tunbridge Wells and Southborough. It was opened in 1893 as Southborough Station by the South Eastern Railway, changing to its present name in 1925.
Tunbridge Wells station
Shared Description used on 33 images
Tunbridge Wells Station was opened by South eastern Railways (SER) on 25th November 1846. It is on "the Hastings line" ( Link
). The station is a cut station with access in both directions by tunnels, the Grove Tunnel from the south and the Wells Tunnel from the north.
The station has a regular service to both London Charing Cross and Hastings as well as shuttles to Tonbridge and some to London Bridge via Redhill.
A Grade II listed building. Link
Shared Description used on 3 images
A small station on the Hastings line. The station was opened in 1851. The Station buildings are Grade II listed. The station is in Bells Yew Green approx. 1 mile from Frant.
Shared Description used on 7 images
Wadhurst station was opened by the South Eastern Railway (SER) in 1851. It is on the Hastings line. The station is about one mile from the village at the foot of a steep hill. It is an important commuter station for the surrounding rural area.
Shared Description used on 25 images
The station was opened in 1851 by South Eastern Railway. It was called Witherenden, it was renamed Stonegate in 1946. The station is on the Hastings line.
Shared Description used on 6 images
Etchingham Station is on the Hastings line and was opened in 1851. It has an hourly service to Hastings and to London Charing Cross.
Shared Description used on 14 images
Robertsbridge Station was opened by South East Railway in 1851 and was temporarily the terminal of the Hastings line. In 1900 it became a junction with the opening of a branch line to Tenterden, this closed in 1961. The station has hourly services to Hastings and london Charing Cross
Mountfield Halt station
Shared Description used on 18 images
Battle Station is on the Hastings line and was opened in 1852. The station buildings are Grade II listed Link
. The station has offset platforms linked by a footbridge.
Shared Description used on 18 images
Crowhurst station is on the Hastings line. The line was opened in 1852, but the station was not built until 1902, when a branch line to Bexhill was built just south of the station. The branch line and most of the station buildings have been dismantled. The station has an hourly service to Hastings and London Charing Cross.
West St Leonard's station
Opened in 1887, a quiet station with occasional stops.
St Leonard's Warrior Square station
Shared Description used on 21 images
The station building and house of St Leonard's Warrior Square station were constructed in 1851. The station was built and owned by the South Eastern Railway (SER). The station is a cut station between two tunnels, The Bo-peep tunnel and Hastings tunnel.
Shared Description used on 50 images
The railway first came to Hastings in 1851. A V-shape station building was originally built allow two competing railway companies to operate with 2 platforms each. This building was replaced with a neo-Georgian style building in 1931, which was subsequently replaced in 2004 with a glass station building.
Hastings is about 1h 45min journey to central London via the Hastings Line.