Hastings

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright March 2010, Oast House Archive; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


Parks & Gardens

Hastings Country Park

Shared Description used on 28 images
Hastings Country Park by Oast House Archive
Hastings Country Park was formed in 1974 and covers 660 acres (2.7 km2) east of Hastings in England. Sandstone cliffs, glens covered with gorse and trees, footpaths, nature trails, picnic areas and ample car parking are some of the features at the country park. Set in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, most of the park has been designated a Special Area of Conservation, a Site of Special Scientific Interest and is a proposed Local Nature Reserve.



Extract from Wikipedia LinkExternal link


TQ8309 : Hastings country park by Oast House Archive


Alexandra Park

Shared Description used on 142 images
Alexandra Park by Oast House Archive
Hastings has one of the most interesting landscaped parks in the South East of England. Designed by Robert Marnock, a leading horticulturist and garden designer, and opened in 1882, for the price of £250. At the Western end nearest the town centre the park is long and thin, squeezed between St Helen's Road and Lower Park Road, it has a wealth of different plant and tree species, open grass land, duck ponds and winding paths. It has sport facilities including a bowls green, tennis and football courts. For the children there is a small adventure playground and miniature railway.

During the summer small festivals are held, including a beer festival during July.



The Northern section of the park includes the larger of the parks two reservoirs, Buckshole Reservoir. Further North is thick woodland at Buck's Hole and Coronation Wood and crossing over St Helen's Road into Old Roar Gill.



The Western section of the park is found North of the Upper Park Road. It consists of thick areas of woodland, Harmer's Reservoirs which are used as dedicated fishing lakes and the Shornden Reservoir.


TQ8010 : Buckshole Reservoir by Oast House Archive


White Rock Gardens

Shared Description used on 10 images
White Rock Gardens by Oast House Archive
The gardens was purchased by the Hastings Corporation in 1902 from the Brisco family to prevent development. It was opened as a sports and recreation ground in 1904.



The bowls green at the lower area of the gardens were laid out in 1916.

The gardens once had a model village, which was replaced by a crazy golf course, which has since been removed.


TQ8109 : Lavender by Oast House Archive


Summerfields Woods

Shared Description used on 16 images
Summerfields Woods by Oast House Archive
Summerfields Wood Local Nature Reserve is a 7.3 hectares area of semi-natural woodland and freshwater ponds near Hastings town centre. It is a site of nature conservation importance.



There is a grade II listed C19 Roman Baths at the east end of the site, and a walled garden in the middle.


TQ8109 : Summerfields Woods sign by Oast House Archive


Linton Gardens

Shared Description used on 12 images
Linton Gardens by Oast House Archive
Linton Gardens was built in the late 1880's as part of the development of Old Priory Farm. Into the 1900's it was a market garden and meadow owned by the Cornwallis Estate.



In 1937 the Hastings Corporation purchased the gardens and neighbouring allotments and it was opened to the public.


TQ8109 : Linton Gardens by Oast House Archive


Cornwallis Gardens

Shared Description used on 8 images
Cornwallis Gardens by Oast House Archive
Sat between Cornwallis gardens residential roads, a small sloping grassed triangle with many trees, and in spring full of bluebells and daffodils.


TQ8109 : Cornwallis Gardens by Oast House Archive


KML

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... )
You are not logged in login | register
donate to geograph