- Worcester Battlefield (Powick Fields)
- Worcester to Droitwich
- Droitwich to Chaddesley Corbett
- Chaddesley Corbett to Hagley
- Stourton to Wombourne and Pendrell Hall
- Wombourne to Oaken
- Oaken to White Ladies Priory via Boscobel House
- Kemberton to Norton via Madeley
- Boscobel to Moseley Old Hall
- Bentley Hall to Halesowen
The path climbs Wychbury Hill to the obelisk or monument beside an ancient hill fort.
Leaving the modern county of Worcestershire the Monarch's Way briefly enters the West Midlands to pass through Stourbridge.
The king and his party passed through Stourbridge on the night of 3rd September 1651 where they sought refreshment. It is said that they spoke amongst themselves in French as a means of disguise.
A strong Black Country dialect may still be encountered in the town.
Passing through urban Stourbridge to meet the Stourbridge Branch Canal
then joining the Stourbridge Canal at Wordsley Junction to pass into Staffordshire.
When the king came this way there were no canals or railways, the Staffs & Worcs Canal was opened in the 18th century and the railway in the 20th century. These provide a pleasant route linking the overnight halts on his journey.
The king was accompanied on horseback by Colonel Charles Gifford of Chillington.
This section follows canals, initially the Stourbridge Canal to Stourton
then northwards following the Staffs & Worcs Canal
to Bratch Locks with the preserved Pumping Station.
The Monarch's Way leaves Wombourne on the South Staffordshire Railway Walk
before crossing countryside
to pick up the Staffordshire Way
through Wrottesley Park to Oaken.
Pendrell Hall was later home to Richard Pendrell one of the king's companions. The Pendrell descendents received a royal pension in recognition of their services to the king.
Boscobel House will feature later in the story but at the moment it is passed on the road.
Boscobel was built as a hunting lodge in 1632 by John Gifford of Whiteladies. At this time the tenancy was held by William Pendrell, one of five brothers.
Down the country lane from Boscobel the path reaches WhiteLadies.
Whiteladies Priory, originally an Augustinian nunnery, at that time a private house.
( Page < < prev 1 2 3 4 5 next >> )