…lots of which are also B&B's and holidays lets.
One of the first known conversions was at Millar's Farm near Meopham in 1903.
Other oast houses have been converted to…
Cafés, tea rooms, pubs and restaurants
a Christian Retreat
…even a Kebab shop!
An increasingly small proportion of disused oast houses are left unconverted.
or in ruins
See a Geograph Map of unconverted oast houses and Shared description.
There are a number of publicly visitable oast house museums.
After the decline of the hop industry, many hundreds of oast houses were demolished. Particularly after the 2nd world war, numerous buildings were demolished to make way for new farm buildings, housing estates, or returned the land to farm land.
The occasional oast house is still being demolished, but most are now valuable assets.
Over 500 Oast Houses are Listed buildings. See more listed oasts
Yonsea Farm was saved from the path of the Channel Tunnel railway link near Hothfield, and completely moved to the Rare Breeds Centre.
The tiles and timbers of an oast house at the Bewl Water Reservoir site were taken to Montreal, Canada, where an oast house was reconstructed.
This unlisted oast house at Wincheap, Canterbury, is currently under threat of demolition.
Burgess Hill Farm Oast was removed to make way for the A21 dualling.
Lack of maintenance is common on disused buildings, as demonstrated by this collapsed kiln roof near Brenchley.
Many traditional materials and features are changed during the conversion period, such as large domestic windows, chimney stacks, porches, white painted weatherboard (rather than black stain), tile hung walls, and painted walls.
It is important that oast houses are converted sensitively to maintain their character and avoid unattractive additions…
Some unusual windows
With around 2500 separate oast houses photographed, Geograph has the largest public online photographic record of oast houses.
…and most featured on postcards and calenders
These toilets were opened in 2010 in the style of two oast house kilns, at about half size.
See more fake oast houses
See more village signs
Darling Buds of May (1991-1993).
Buss Farm was the main filming location for the tv series, where it was known as 'Home Farm'. In one episode the oast is re-tiled.
Manor Farm Oast and Park Farm Oast.
An oast house was only used for drying for one month each year. The rest of the year it would be used as a store for other farm produce, animal feed, farm implements or whatever else the farmer might need to store.
In 2004, as an alternate way to sell an oast house at Chilham, it was put up as a raffle prize.
In 2007, the Daily Mail newspaper gave away an oast house, valued at £400,000, in a competition.
According to and article in The Illustrated London News in 1886, an oast house at Sharsted Court in Newnham is believed to have been used for drying tobacco. The tobacco grown adjacent the hops.
"Kentish Oasts" by R. and I. Walton
"Oasthouses in Sussex and Kent" by Gwen Jones and John Bell
"Beltring Hop Farm" by Robin Walton
"The Oasthouses, Their Life & Times" by Alan Major
Images Of England
Geograph: Oast Houses (snippet)
Geograph: The Hop Farm
Geograph: Hopper Huts (snippet)
Geograph: Hops & Hop Fields (snippet)
Geograph: Maltings (tags)
( Page < < prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 )