Text © Copyright Penny Mayes, June 2012
A transcription of the wording on the lens cleaner given away with Amateur Photographer magazine in July 2010.
You can download this document from Google Docs
Dear police officer/PCSO
These guidelines have been issued to all police staff by the head of
Specialist Operations for the Metropolitan Police Service, to assist
them in dealing with professional and amateur photographers taking
pictures in public places.
"Whilst we must remain vigilant at all times in dealing with suspicious behaviour,
staff must be clear that:
- There is no restriction on people taking photographs in public places or of any building other than in very exceptional circumstances
- There is no prohibition on photographing frontline uniform staff
- The act of taking a photograph in itself is not usually sufficient to carry out a stop
- Unless there is very good reason, people taking photographs should not be stopped
- Officers do not have the power to delete digital images, destroy film or to prevent photography in a public place under either power (sections 43 and 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000)"
Editor: Amateur Photographer magazine