Redundant Lincolnshire churches

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
Creative Commons License Text by Richard Croft, November 2013 ; This work is dedicated to the Public Domain.
Images are under a separate Creative Commons Licence.


St.Peter's church

Aisthorpe


SK9480 : St.Peter's church by Richard Croft

Aisthorpe is listed as East Thorpe with 10 households in the Domesday Survey and an incumbent priest is recorded from c1180. In 1866 the Lincoln Diocesan Architectural Society described the old church as "miserable in character", prompting Rev.Robert William Otter (Rector of Aisthorpe 1850-1875) to commission and pay for a new St.Peter's church. The church was rebuilt by architect Thomas Chambers Hine of Nottingham in a neo-Early English style and completed by 1868.
St.Peter's church was grade II listed in November 1966. It has been closed for many years due to structural safety concerns.

St.Peter's church

Asterby


TF2679 : St.Peter's church by Richard Croft TF2679 : Chancel window by Richard Croft TF2679 : Head stop by Richard Croft TF2679 : St Peter's Church Asterby by Tony Atkin TF2679 : St Peter's church, Asterby by J.Hannan-Briggs TF2679 : St. Peter's, Asterby, north side by Jonathan Thacker TF2679 : St. Peter's, Asterby, west tower by Jonathan Thacker

St.Peterís church is largely Lincolnshire Greenstone with brick patching, mostly mid-14th and late-15th century with a saddleback tower roof by W.Mortimer c1900. The nave retains the two easternmost bays of a 14th century 4-bay north arcade and there is a 14th century chancel arch.

It was grade II* listed in 1966, declared redundant in November 1983 and is now privately owned.

St.Mary's church

Barnetby-le-Wold


All Saints' church

Brauncewell


TF0452 : All Saints' church, Brauncewell by Richard Croft TF0452 : All Saints' church, Brauncewell, Lincs. by Richard Croft

The medieval village of Branzewelle had a church in 1086 and undulations either side of Old Lane mark the site of the deserted village. All Saintsí church was rebuilt in the 16th century on the site of the medieval church and rebuilt again in 1857 though retaining the octagonal Perpendicular font. It was grade II listed in 1967, declared redundant in 1973 and is now cared for by the Lincolnshire Old Churches Trust.

All Saints' church

Broxholme


SK9178 : All Saints' church, Broxholme, Lincs. by Richard Croft

All Saints church was built in 1857 in the Decorated style by Nottingham architect Thomas Chambers Hine on the site of the medieval church.

It was grade II listed 1966, declared redundant in March 1990 and sold into private ownership in June 1992.

St.John the Baptist's church

Burringham


SE8309 : St.John the Baptist's church, Burringham by Richard Croft SE8309 : St.John the Baptist's church, Burringham by Richard Croft SE8309 : The church of St. John the Baptist by Jon Clark SE8309 : St John the Baptist's Church, Burringham by Paul Harrop SE8309 : St. John the Baptist, Burringham by Jonathan Thacker SE8309 : Interior, looking east, St. John the Baptist, Burringham by Jonathan Thacker

By Samuel Sanders Teulon 1856-7, St.John the Baptistís church is almost entirely built in red brick with some yellow and black bricks and minimal stone dressings. It has a short square tower as wide as the nave with pyramidal top and the nave, chancel and apsidal east end are subtly defined by changes in window style.

It closed in 1983, declared redundant in 1984, grade II listed in March 1985 and is now in the care of The Churches Conservation Trust and rarely open for visitors.

St.Michael's church

Burwell


TF3579 : The Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : The Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : The Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne

St.Michael's church

Buslingthorpe


TF0785 : St Michael, Buslingthorpe by Dave Hitchborne TF0785 : St.Michael's church tower by Richard Croft TF0785 : St.Michael's church nave by Richard Croft TF0785 : Interior of St Michael, Buslingthorpe by Dave Hitchborne TF3579 : Interior of the Church of St Michael, Burwell by Dave Hitchborne TF0785 : Interior of St Michael, Buslingthorpe by Dave Hitchborne TF0785 : Tomb of Sir John Buslingthorpe by J.Hannan-Briggs TF0785 : St.Michael's church interior by Richard Croft TF0785 : Sir John Buslingthorpe by Richard Croft TF0785 : Interior of St Michael, Buslingthorpe by Dave Hitchborne TF0785 : Interior of St Michael, Buslingthorpe by Dave Hitchborne TF0785 : Cracked lintel in Buslingthorpe Church by J.Hannan-Briggs TF0785 : Memorial to Charles and Hannah Odling and their children by J.Hannan-Briggs TF0785 : Interior of St Michael, Buslingthorpe by Dave Hitchborne TF0785 : Brass of Knight on coffin slab, St Michael's church by J.Hannan-Briggs TF0785 : St.Michael's church, Buslingthorpe, Lincs. by Richard Croft TF0785 : St.Michael's church by Richard Croft

The tiny, grade II* listed St.Michael's church was rebuilt by E.J.Wilson in 1835 on the site of the medieval church, retaining the low medieval tower and 13th century chancel arch. It has a rare treasure in one of the earliest military brasses in England, to Sir Richard de Buslingthorpe c1300.
The village of Buslingthorpe has shrunk to just a few houses around Manor Farm and St.Michael's church, with extensive earthworks marking the site of the village and open field system as a Scheduled Ancient Monument
It was grade II* listed in November 1966 and declared redundant in 1984

All Hallows' church

Clixby


TA1004 : Clixby - All Hallows by Dave Hitchborne TA1004 : All Hallows' church, Clixby by Richard Croft TA1004 : All Hallows' church, Clixby by Richard Croft TA1004 : Interior of All Hallows, Clixby by Dave Hitchborne TA1004 : Interior of All Hallows, Clixby by Dave Hitchborne TA1004 : Interior of All Hallows, Clixby by Dave Hitchborne TA1004 : Interior of All Hallows, Clixby by Dave Hitchborne TA1004 : Interior of All Hallows, Clixby by Dave Hitchborne TA1004 : Interior of All Hallows, Clixby by Dave Hitchborne TA1004 : Interior of All Hallows, Clixby by Dave Hitchborne TA1004 : All Hallows' font by Richard Croft

The medieval village of Clixby never recovered from the Black Death in 1348-9 and the church declined in the following centuries to just the 13th century chancel by 1871. A restoration by Hodgson Fowler in 1889 added the west porch incorporating re-set, blocked 13th century doorways either side of what was the chancel arch. The 15th century font came from the redundant church of St.Peter at Low Toynton LinkExternal link

All Hallows' church was grade II* listed in November 1966, declared redundant in July 1973 and is now in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust

All Saints' church

Cold Hanworth


TF0383 : All Saints' church by Richard Croft

St.Bartholomew's church

Covenham St.Bartholomew


Covenham St.Bartholomew is a village in the East Lindsey district of Lincolnshire. It lies about 5 miles (8 km) north of Louth. William the Conqueror founded a Priory of Benedictine monks here around 1170. In 1303 the priory became unprofitable and was sold to Kirkstead Abbey. All traces of it are now gone.
The civil parish consists of two ecclesiastical parishes: St.Bartholomew and St.Mary.
The redundant Grade II listed Anglican parish church of St.Bartholomew is mainly in the Decorated style, and formerly cruciform in plan, previously losing its north transept. It has a low central bell-tower. On the floor of the church is a monumental brass with an effigy of Sir John Skypwyth, 1415. It was repaired and re-seated in 1863 and accommodated 150 worshipers. The Diocese of Lincoln declared the church redundant in December 1980. In 1984 the building was gifted as a monument.

TF3394 : The Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : The Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : The Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : The Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : The Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne
TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Interior of the Church of St Bartholomew, Covenham by Dave Hitchborne TF3394 : Sir John Skipwith by Richard Croft

St.Helen's church

Cumberworth


TF5073 : St.Helen's church by Richard Croft TF5073 : St.Helen's church by Richard Croft TF5073 : St.Helen's bell turret by Richard Croft TF5073 : South doorway by Richard Croft TF5073 : St Helen's, Cumberworth by Ian S TF5073 : St Helen's, Cumberworth by Ian S

KML

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
You are not logged in login | register