River Severn - The Gloucestershire Severn
Thomas Telford's bridge at Over, opened in 1828, was the lowest crossing point on the river until the Severn Bridge was opened in 1966.
The 16 mile long Gloucester & Sharpness Canal completed in 1827 allowed vessels up to 600 tonnes access to the docks at Gloucester avoiding the dangerous Arlingham bend.
The Severn Bridge was opened in 1966 between Aust and Beachley replacing the ferry. A second river crossing opened in 1996 with a central span of 456m.