River Severn - The Shropshire Severn
There are no public road bridges between here and Bewdley.
Severn Trent have recently built a private bridge to access between their waterworks and Chelmarsh Reservoir.
The only crossing for walkers is the passenger ferry at Hampton Loade.
The recently opened footbridge at Highley/Alveley is the only public crossing for miles. It is next to the demolished Miner's Bridge. Highley(1878-1940) and Alveley(1936-1969) collieries exploited the Brooch Seam with shafts 279m and 344m deep. The coal supplied the power stations at Ironbridge and Stourport-on-Severn being transported by rail on what is now the Severn Valley Railway.
For the last mile or so the the centre of the river marks the county boundary with Shropshire on the West bank and Worcestershire on the East bank.
( Page < < prev 1 ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 )