River Severn - Afon Hafren
The Grade II* Brynderwen Bridge at Abermule is another Thomas Penson design and was built by the Brymbo Company of Wrexham. An inscription on the face reads 'THIS SECOND IRON BRIDGE CONSTRUCTED IN THE COUNTY OF MONTGOMERY WAS ERECTED IN THE YEAR 1852'.
Fron footbridge near Plas Mereddyd is a more modest structure by David Rowell & Co dating from 1926.
The bridge at Caerhowel was opened in 1858 to replace an earlier wooden bridge washed away by flooding in 1852 and a short-lived suspension bridge that collapsed under loading from lime wagons. The Thomas Penson design has been substantially strengthened for modern traffic loading.
There has been a bridge at Caerhowel since 1250 with some evidence of the previous structures unearthed 300 yards downstream of the current bridge.
The ancient ford at Rwd Chwima (Rhydwhyman) was an important crossing point in the Vale of Montgomery. Talks took place between the English and Welsh nearby and the river formed the border between the countries between here and the ford at Shrawardine, Salop.
The River Rhiw joins at Glansevern Hall (Refail)
Road and rail cross the river beside the mill at Cilcewydd. The road brige is another Thomas Penson design completed in 1861, two years after his death.
Leighton Road Bridge lies in the floodplain to the east of Welshpool.
( Page < < prev 1 2 3 next >> )