River Trent - The Nottinghamshire Trent

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright December 2011, John M; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


River Trent

The River Trent, the third longest river in England emerges at around 919ft(280m)on Biddulph Moor and flows for 185 miles (298km) eventually discharging into the Humber Estuary at Trent Falls. The limit of navigation is at Burton on Trent.

This section of river leaves the Derbyshire boundary at Long Eaton and follows the river downstream to Cromwell Lock. Along this section it is a significant lowland river with arable farming on brown earth based alluvial soils. The characteristic landscape is theTrent and Belvoir Vales.

Long Eaton to Clifton Bridge


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
From its confluence with the River Erewash the river flows alongside the Attenborough Nature Reserve formed by sand and gravel extraction.


SK5133 : River Trent at Attenborough by Lynne Kirton SK5233 : Trent reach at Barton Island by Alan Murray-Rust SK5234 : Trent reach past Attenborough by Alan Murray-Rust SK5335 : The River Trent - Beeston Weir by David Lally

At Beeston a lock allows access to the Beeston canal.

The river loops around Clifton

SK5334 : River Trent by Andy Jamieson SK5434 : River Trent by Richard Croft SK5435 : The River Trent at Clifton Grove by Christine Hasman SK5535 : River Trent at Clifton by Alan Murray-Rust

towards Clifton Bridge

SK5536 : River Trent by Alan Murray-Rust SK5636 : Fairham Brook entering the Trent by Tim Heaton SK5636 : Fairham Brook joins the Trent by David Lally SK5636 : Clifton Bridge by Tom Courtney

The two Clifton bridges were opened in 1958 and 1972.
The Fairham Brook joins from the south.

Clifton Bridge to Trent Bridge


Below Clifton Bridge the river loops around Wilford becoming more urban.

SK5637 : River Trent below Clifton Bridge by Alan Murray-Rust SK5638 : River Leen outfall by Tim Heaton SK5638 : Wilford Bridge from the Victoria Embankment by Alan Murray-Rust SK5738 : Victoria Embankment by Garth Newton

Wilford Toll Bridge dates from 1870 and provided a route to Clifton Colliery. It remained in private hands until the 1960s. The centre span was replaced in 1974 and is now a footbridge.

The River Leen joins from the north.

SK5737 : Memorial gates by Richard Croft SK5737 : Rivermead Flats by Richard Croft SK5737 : Downstream at dusk by John Sutton SK5737 : Wilford Suspension Bridge by Alan Murray-Rust SK5837 : Boats moored at Trent Embankment by John Sutton

Wilford suspension Bridge dates from 1906 and was built as a combined aqueduct and footbridge connecting to Wilford Hill Reservoir.

Trent Bridge to Colwick


There has been a bridge across the River Trent since 920. The current bridge dates from 1871 with widening on both sides carried out in the 1920s by Cleveland Bridge.

SK5838 : Trent Bridge by Stephen McKay SK5838 : The City Ground on a September evening by John Sutton SK5838 : Lady Bay Bridge by Kate Jewell SK5838 : County Hall, West Bridgford by Alan Murray-Rust

Lady Bay Bridge carried the former Midland Railway line to Melton Mowbray and was closed by Beeching in the 1960s. It now carries road traffic.

SK5938 : River Trent by Kate Jewell SK5938 : Trent-side warehouse by Richard Croft SK5938 : River Crest Apartments from the Trent by David Colyer SK6038 : The Trent near Colwick by John Sutton

Colwick Sluice to Radcliffe on Trent


SK6038 : River Trent at Colwick looking towards Holme Sluices and Lock by Alan Murray-Rust SK6039 : Colwick Marina by Alan Murray-Rust SK6139 : Colwick Sluices on the River Trent by John Darch SK6139 : Holme Lock, River Trent by Geoff Pick

SK6139 : The River Trent at Holme Pierrepont by Dave Hitchborne SK6239 : River Trent near Holme Pierrepont by Alan Murray-Rust SK6239 : Cruising on the Trent by Tom Courtney SK6339 : Netherfield - west side of Trent Viaduct by Dave Bevis SK6339 : Enjoying the River by Alan Murray-Rust

Radcliffe Viaduct opened in 1850 carries the Nottingham to Grantham railway over the river.

KML

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
You are not logged in login | register
donations accepted