River Trent - The Staffordshire Trent
Flowing across the plain the river is joined from the north by the River Swarbourn north of Alrewas. Alrewas lies near the crossing point of the Roman Ryknield Street over the River Trent. A cotton mill was built in the village in 1793 to take advantage of water power and transport on the Trent and Mersey Canal.
The Trent & Mersey Canal rejoins the river at Alrewas and shares a short section before heading north to Burton-on-Trent. The river and canal are constrained here by the high ground of Needwood Forest to the north.
A lock drops the canal to river level beside the mill stream before joining the main river channel. A weir allows the main river flow to be taken off.
Following the main river channel to the A38 beside Essington Meadows.
Further smaller weirs and sluices on the canal section allow water levels to be managed. Wychnor Lock marks the end of the shared river section.
There are three river crossings on the A38 (Ryknield Street) with the threads rejoining east of the road.
( Page < < prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 next >> )