River Trent - The Staffordshire Trent
Amongst the gravel pits east of the A38 bridges the river is joined by its third major tributary, the River Tame. The River Tame rises on the northern edge of Wolverhampton, flowing through the Black Country and Birmingham before turning north to meet the River Trent.
The first crossing point is at Walton on Trent where there is a temporary bridge.
At one time in the early 1960s the three coal fired power stations at Drakelow made it the largest generating site in Europe. The last of the units closed in 1998 with the cooling towers demolished in 2006. There are plans for a gas or bio-mass plant on the site.
The river skirts to the south of Branston, famous for providing the name for 'Branston Pickle' produced in the Great War 'National Machine Gun Factory'. The river marks the boundary between Staffordshire and Derbyshire.
Stapenhill is an enclave of Staffordshire linked across the Ferry Meadows by a footbridge and modern road bridge. The Meadows play host to the annual rowing regatta.
The river was divided into a series of channels with weirs to power mills in Wilden, Stapenhill and Burton.
Burton-on-Trent with its breweries is the limit of navigation on the river. Attempts to improve the navigation were authorised by an Act of Parliament in 1699 between Burton and Castle Donnington with Lord Paget able to charge £3/ton. These were overtaken by the opening of the Trent and Mersey Canal in 1770. The river boat company ceased trading in 1805 and the river navigation company survived until 1894.
North of Burton-on-Trent the river is joined by its fourth major tributary, the River Dove. The River Dove drains the 'White Peak' limestone area of Derbyshire with tributaries the Churnet, Hamps and Manifold.
For continuation downstream in Derbyshire and Leicestershire see Link
( Page < < prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 )