SE0022

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright November 2011, Humphrey Bolton; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


This square is mostly farmland (pasture) on the hillside above Turvin Clough. The B6138 passes through the square, and in the valley bottom there are the sites of two demolished textile mills.

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

To see the browse page, the 1:25000 map in a popup window, or various other options click on 'Links for SE0022' and select the appropriate link. The 1:25000 map shows the grid reference at the pointer position, so that you can use it to find the location of the features for which grid references are given in the text.

Turvin Clough

On the western side of the square there is a steep-sided V-shaped valley called Turvin Clough or Cragg Vale, with a stream called Turvin Brook. In it there were two textile mills, Turvin Mill at SE00272228 and Victoria Mill at SE00182272.

Turvin Mill was built in 1808. By 1833 it had a 10 HP water wheel and employed 57 workers (of which 31 were children). The water in the brook was supplemented by a catchwater drain half a mile long which collected the overflow from Whiteholm reservoir (Rochdale Canal Co.) as well as water from the moor. There is still a small reservoir opposite the bus turning bay. (Walsh) The mill was captioned 'Woollen' on the 1850 six-inch map.

Victoria Mill was built by the Cragg Vale Manufacturing Co., a co-operative, in 1861, but went into liquidation by 1864 due to the 'Cotton Famine' and was sold to Hinchcliffe Hinchcliffe and Sons Ltd There were two 30HP engines and a 40HP water wheel. powered by a fall of 45 ft. It was six storeys high and 100ft by 90 ft. The stone for the goit was obtained from Priestley Ing Wood. The plan was to use water power for half the year and steam power for the remainder of the time (Walsh).

The Hinchliffe family had a bad reputation for exploiting child labour. At the beginning of the 19th century, children in their mills were recorded as working from 5:30 am to 8:30 pm. (Jennings)

There is now little to see of the industrial past.

SE0022 : Footbridge over the Cragg Brook by Michael Steele
A footpath leaves Blackstone Edge Road at Green Bank and crosses the stream by a clapper bridge with stone slabs held together by iron links.


SE0022 : The footpath towards Mytholmroyd on the West of the Cragg Brook by Michael Steele
The footpath then follows the western bank of the stream, at the foot of Higher House Wood.


SE0022 : Looking Down by Maureen Brian
At SE001229 the valley bottom broadens.



Blackstone Edge Road , B6138

Blackstone Edge Road was part of a turnpike road constructed in the early 19C to link Mytholmroyd to the ancient main highway over Blackstone Edge. The road climbs about 65m as it traverses this square, an average gradient of 1 in 15.

SE0022 : Blackstone Edge Road, Cragg Vale by David Dixon
Soon after the road enters the square from the south, Green Bank (terrace houses) appears on the west side. On the east side at SE00222215 a new toll house, shown on the 1850 six-inch map, was built in 1835



SE0022 : Bus turning bay, Blackstone Edge Road, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
The Cragg Vale bus service turns here. Opposite, in the valley, the mill pond for Turvin Mill is still shown on the map, although with marsh symbols.


Turvin Farm is on the site of Turvin Mill. At SE003224 there is a group of houses called Littlewood, where Will Clough crosses the road.
At SE002227 there is a row of houses called Victoria Terrace, which is opposite the site of Victoria Mill.

SE0022 : Blackstone Edge Road, Cragg Vale. Milestone by Andrew Riley
This is one of the set of milestones on this road. The houses on the right are a pair called East View.


SE0022 : Milestone, Blackstone Edge Road by Mark Anderson
The milestone is of the standard type found throughout the West Riding. It must date from before 1893, as the civil parish name on it is Sowerby, not Mytholmroyd.



The farmland

When the Normans took over, the hillsides in this area were probably woodland. During the Medieval period the land was gradually cleared of trees and cultivated. Peasants who had managed to save some money would apply to the manor court to 'assart' some land, and this would generally be approved on payment of an entry fine (fee) and an annual rent. These early enclosures are generally small and with irregular shapes. The fields between Bank Top and Priestley Ing are of this type.

SE0022 : Cock Hill Farm by Paul Glazzard
Cock Hill Farm is surrounded by irregular fields that might have been cleared in the medieval period.



Between the farmland and the main road there is a steep hillside with woodland and areas of heather and bilberry. At the top of this hillside there is a named rock - the Bull Fall Stone.

SE0022 : The Bull Fall Stone, Cragg Vale by Humphrey Bolton
This seems to be the view that gave rise to the 'bull' part of the name. 'Fall' is often used as a type of woodland, but here the name of the wood is Bank Top Wood and the 1895 six-inch map shows 'Bull Fall' in italics along the upper part of the hillside, whereas the names of woods are in upright letters.
by Humphrey Bolton


SE0022 : The Bull Fall Stone and its view, Cragg Vale by Humphrey Bolton
This is the view from the Bull Fall Stone.



New Road

How new? The fields on each side look like 18C or 19C enclosures, with straight and often parallel boundaries. It gives access to some farms likely to have been established in the early 19C: Catherine House, Catherine Slack and Turkey Lodge. It might have been made to give better access for wheeled traffic to the Blackstone Edge turnpike from Sowerby village.

SE0022 : Coppy Nook Lane, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
Coppy Nook Lane starts at a crossroads at the northern end of New Road It is a continuation of an unmade track from Waterstalls Road called Clattering Stones Road (most of the Clattering Stones are in two fields at SE009224). New Road continues as Folly Hall Lane.


SE0022 : Catherine House by John Illingworth
Catherine House was a row of three small cottages and has a large barn or workshop, all built in the early 19C, with a chimney of the industrial type. The Calderdale Way guidebook states that it was used for drying corn (presumably oats at this altitude). The English Heritage Listing (it is a Grade II listed building) states that it was used for the incineration of carcases and that the premises was used by fellmongers (see note below). Possibly the agricultural use was first, and replaced by the industrial use.


Note re fellmongering Fellmongers were skilled craftsmen who had a guild. They turned animal hides into sheepskin, leather or vellum by chemical and mechanical processes. Wool was recovered from sheep hides. Normally the parts of animals not wanted by butchers were delivered to a fellmonger, who would remove any body parts still attached to the hides and incinerate them.

SE0022 : Bank Top by Paul Glazzard
Cock Hill Clough is a stream in a little V-shaped valley. Rather than getting deeper, the valley flattens out and is barely noticeable in the farmland down towards Bank Top, the farm in the distance.


SE0022 : Road to High Craggs Farm by Alexander P Kapp
The driveway to High Craggs Farm is modern; the farm used to be called Upper Priestley Ing and had access off the driveway to Priestley Ing.


SE0022 : Road to Catherine Slack Farm by Alexander P Kapp
Catherine Slack Farm was probably built in the early 19C, when agriculture was profitable and considerable areas of moorland were enclosed.


SE0022 : Turkey Lodge by David Martin
I thought Turkey Lodge was a modern name adopted when a poultry business was started. However the name is on the 1850 six-inch map. The Little Valley Brewery and Lloyds Animal Feeds Ltd are here,


Annibutt Lee is a farm that is old enough to be shown on the 1850 six-inch map. It is now used for a boarding kennels and cattery business. Its access is from New Road.

Sources

Stephen Walsh, Cragg Vale, a Pennine valley, Mytholmroyd 1993
ed. Bernard Jennings, Pennine Valley - a history of upper Calderale, Otley, 1994
LinkExternal link (Listed building descriptions).
LinkExternal link (historic six-inch maps)
KML
You are not logged in login | register