SE0025

( Page 1 2 3 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright December 2011, Humphrey Bolton; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

To see the browse page, the 1:25000 map in a popup window, or various other options click on 'Links for SE0025' and select the appropriate link.

Cragg Brook

This is really a small river. The part in the northern half of this square is also called Elphin Brook, a name that seems to be connected to Elphaborough Hall, although there might well be elves around.
SE0025 : Elphin Brook, Dauber Bridge by Paul Glazzard
Looking upstream from Dauber Bridge on Cragg Road, south of Mytholmroyd. Behind the trees is the track leading from Hoo Hole Lane to Wriggles Bottom and Parrock Clough.
by Paul Glazzard


The B6138 crosses the brook at Dauber Bridge.
SE0025 : Dauber Bridge, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
The stone arch was probably constructed with the turnpike road in the early 19C, and the bridge has been widened using a steel girder.
by Humphrey Bolton


The next bridge is at Hoo Hole, a listed structure probably built in the late 18C.
SE0025 : Hoo Hole Bridge, off Cragg Road, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
This was built to give access to Hoo Hole Mills. There is a public footpath over it, leading to Thorn Bank.
by Humphrey Bolton


SE0025 : Hoo Hole Works, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
Hoo Hole Dye Works was founded in 1869 by Whiteley and Binns, on the site of an 18C water-powered corn mill owned by William Tidsworth, which later became a fulling mill. In the 20C it became Thornber's poultry equipment factory. It was sold, and then repurchased to be one of the Thornber Properties business and industrial sites. It houses a recycling company and a merchandising solutions company.


SE0025 : Hebden Royd FP 64, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
The brook is hidden from the road by industrial premises and houses, but can be seen from a footpath on the wooded hillside to the east. This is the footpath.


SE0025 : Hebden Royd Footpath 64 by Humphrey Bolton
The footpath leads to an area of houses on the south side of Mytholmroyd town, including rows of terrace houses where perhaps workers at Hoo Hole lived. This is the path as it leaves the built-up area.


SE0025 : Weir on Cragg Brook, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
This weir provided a water supply for Scarbottom Mill.


SE0025 : Cragg Brook, Mytholmroyd by Paul Glazzard
This is another view, looking across the weir.


SE0025 : The Brook, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
Scarbottom Mill was built in the last quarter of the 18C as a water-powered worsted spinning mill. It was later converted to a cotton mill and became steam-powered, with mill lodges to supply water for the boilers. In the 20C it was used by Redmans for clothing manufacture, and closed in the mid-1980s and demolished later in that decade. The land is now a housing estate built in the 1990s.


Cragg Brook flows into SE0125 just before the bridge carrying the estate road of The Brook.

Cragg Road (B 6138)

SE0025 : Cragg Road, Mytholmroyd by David Dixon
There is a double bend in the road as it crosses Cragg Brook at Dauber Bridge.


When Hoo Hole Lane is reached, the road enters the built-up area of Mytholmroyd town.
SE0025 : Factory, Cragg Road B6138, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
There is a factory on the eastern side.



Opposite the factory there are two terraces of houses at right-angles to the road, Holme Terrace and West View. These were built c.1900, probably to house workers at the Hoo Hole works.
SE0025 : Elphin Court, Cragg Road, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
On the western side there are houses, including a sheltered housing site.


SE0025 : Terrace houses, Cragg Road, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
In the style of the semi-detached houses with bay windows that are often seen. These were built in the late 1930s, as they are shown in outline on the wartime six-inch map.
by Humphrey Bolton


SE0025 : Mytholmroyd Nurses' Home, Cragg Road by Humphrey Bolton
Then on the eastern side there is a long terrace of houses squeezed between the road and Cragg Brook. One of the houses was the Mytholmroyd Nurses' Home.


SE0025 : The former council offices, Cragg Road, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
Mytholmroyd had Urban District Council status from 1893 to 1937, and built its council offices on the site of a school that was closed when the Scout Road Board School opened.


SE0025 : Buildings, Cragg Road B6138, Mytholmroyd by Humphrey Bolton
The fire station was next door to the council offices. It is now a pottery.


The road then enters SE0125, just after the junction with Stocks Lane.

KML

( Page 1 2 3 )
You are not logged in login | register
donations accepted