SE0028

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright January 2012, Humphrey Bolton; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

To see the browse page, the 1:25000 map in a popup window, or various other options click on 'Links for SE0028' and select the appropriate link.

Chiserley

SE0028 : View of Chiserley, Wadsworth by Humphrey Bolton
Chisley up to 1964, but changed to Chiserley on the OS map by 1969. From being a loose hamlet of farms, mills and terrace houses for mill-workers it has grown to be a village.
by Humphrey Bolton


The earliest mention of Chisley was in 1296. An early form is Chesewaldley, and one can imagine the broad expanse of hillside being used for dairy farming, and cheese being made. Why the name was changed to Chiserley in the 1960s is a mystery.

Chisley Hall is dated 1617, and has a two-storey porch with a room over the entrance. It was the home of Thomas Dent Hoyle in 1905. He was one of the owners of James Hoyle & Sons Limited, Cotton spinners and manufacturers of Acre Mill, on Billy Lane.

Walker Lane
SE0028 : Old Town Methodist Church, Chiserley by Alexander P Kapp
The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was founded in 1863, and a Sunday School built whilst services were held in the Clu Houses. The chapel opened in 1872. The carving around each of the six windows was by a different stone mason, each giving his services free.


SE0028 : South end of the Methodist Chapel, Walker Lane, Chiserley, Wadsworth by Humphrey Bolton
The entrance to the chapel is on the first floor at the top of a curved staircase.


SE0028 : Club Houses by Alexander P Kapp
The Club Houses were built in the early 19C as an investment by a local funeral club. The upper storey was used as a communal weaving shop and each cottage had an internal communicating door on each floor. (from Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion


SE0028 : Houses, Walker Lane, Chiserley, Wadsworth by Humphrey Bolton
These concrete-clad council houses were built in the early 1950s when rapid building methods were needed to deal with a housing shortage.


SE0028 : Green End, Walker Lane, Chiserley, Wadsworth by Humphrey Bolton
Green End is probably so named because it is near to Old Town Green.


SE0028 : Work and play, Wadsworth by Humphrey Bolton
This is Old Town Green, with the mill in the distance.
by Humphrey Bolton

Old Town Green, so named on the 1850 map, was given by Baron Kinnaird and Robert George Hogarth to Wadsworth Parish Council in January 1940 as a recreation ground. Presumably the Baron was Lord of the Manor, but I have not been able to confirm this.

Billy Lane

The Primary School, the post office, and the site of Acre Mill are on Billy lane.

SE0028 : Wadsworth Post Office, Chiserley by Mark Anderson
The post office is also the village shop.


Acre Mill was founded by James Hoyle in 1859. One of his sons, John, brought prosperity to the firm by manufacturing the very strong cloths used to line Dunlop tyres. He lived at Summerfield, a large house on the southern edge of the housing estates. Cape Asbestos took over the mill in 1939. After a while there was a series of deaths of workers from asbestosis, and an investigation took place that led to the closure of the mill and its demolition in 1987. There is a commemorative plaque and tree on the site.

The countryside north and east of Chiserley

SE0028 : View across the valley above Chiserley, Wadsworth by Humphrey Bolton
This is taken from the Old Town Reservoir. There is a broad valley above Chiserley with a network of paths amongst the fields and farms or former farms. The moorland at Keelam Edge is in the background.
by Humphrey Bolton


Lanes and paths lead from Billy Lane and Old Town Green across the area of pasture fields to the moorland beyond.

SE0028 : Site of Rock, Wadsworth by Humphrey Bolton
From Old Town Green there are two ways to Rock, where there was a row of four cottages, probably homes for quarry workers, and another cottage called Little Rock.


SE0028 : Old Town Reservoir, Wadsworth by Humphrey Bolton
Above Rock, on Wall Stones Flat, there is a reservoir that presumably belongs to Old Town Mill. It seems to have been constructed c.1895 as it is shown on the six-inch map of that date but not on the 1:2500 map of 1894.


A little further north, Allswell Farm, formerly called Bog Eggs (I wonder why they changed the name?!) has diversified into providing horse riding and holiday cottages.

SE0028 : Bog Eggs Edge by Stephen Craven
From Wall Stones Flat a bridleway called Brigg Well Head Gate goes up onto Bog Eggs Edge. Brigg Well Head Spring is on the map further up the hillside.


The other lanes are Old Laithes Lane and Popples Lane, the latter dividing into Latham Lane and Keelam Lane. The latter is a broad marshy strip of land that was perhaps used for driving cattle or sheep onto the moor.

Links to old maps

Link to old OS six-inch maps on the Calderdale Council websiteExternal link
Search for Billy Lane and choose any of the houses from the list. You can adjust the zoom level and change instantly between four editions of the OS six-inch map from 1851-5 to 1934-48.

Link to old OS 1:2500 mapsExternal link
Enter the all-figure grid co-ordinates at the centre of the area you wish to see. The window for 1:2500 maps is approximately 970m wide by 680m high. You cannot pan the maps, but have to re-enter new co-ordinates and wait for the map to reload.

Bibliography

Colin Spencer, The History of Hebden Bridge, Hebden Bridge Literary & Scientific Soc. 1991
ed. Bernard Jennings, Pennine Valley - a history of upper Calderale, Otley, 1994
The South and West Yorkshire Village Book, South and West Yorkshire Federation of Women's Institutes, 1991 (see section on Wadsworth)

KML
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved