SK76 in Nottinghamshire

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright January 2012, Humphrey Bolton; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


Ossington

The village

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

The village is a planned estate village of the 19C. Since the 18C the Lords of the Manor have been the Denison family. (SLS)

SK7564 : Highland Farm by James Hill
Highland Farm in Ossington.
by James Hill


SK7564 : Ossington by Richard Croft
Entering Ossington by Hopbine Farm
by Richard Croft



The church and Ossington Hall Estate

Holy Rood Church is in the grounds of the Hall. It was built in 1782, in Classical style. The west tower has a dome, crowned by a little dome, at the top. The lower part has a screen of coupled Tuscan columns. There are monuments to the family of Edmund Cartwright, the inventor of the power loom, and also to the Denisons, wool merchants from Leeds. The monument to William Denison has him holding a long poem, and the base has a relief with a ship, wool bales and a sheep. (Pevsner)

The house was demolished in the 1950s, and only a remarkable pillar sundial remains. (SLS)

SK7565 : Holy Rood church, Ossington by Richard Croft
Ossington Hall was demolished in 1963, but Holy Rood church remains in splendid parkland. By Carr of York 1782-3 it is entirely classical in a mellow buff stone and contains monuments from an earlier church.
by Richard Croft


SK7664 : Ossington Hall gates by Richard Croft
Ossington Hall was built in 1729, enlarged c1790 and demolished in 1963. These gates remain as grand entrance to the drive that now leads only to the parkland and Holy Rood church
by Richard Croft


SK7665 : Grange Farm Cottages by JThomas
Houses built for workers on a large country estate.


Sutton-on-Trent

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7965 : High Street and chapel, Sutton on Trent by Andrew Hill
Looking along the village High Street past the Methodist chapel.
by Andrew Hill


SK8065 : All Saints' church, Sutton on Trent by Richard Croft
All Saints Church is just outside the hectad, but I have bent the grid line to include it. It was well restored by Weir in 1932, leaving the architectural details much as they were before. The Mering Chapel of c.1525 has elaborately panelled battlements, and pinnacles on top of the buttresses. Inside it has an elaborate screen towards the aisle. (Pevsner)


SK8065 : Mering Chapel by Richard Croft
On the south side of the chancel of All Saints' church, Sutton on Trent is the early 16th century Mering Chapel and the marble tomb of Sir William Mering and an ancient screen.
by Richard Croft


SK8065 : Sutton-on-Trent - Vine House by Dave Bevis
On Main Street.
by Dave Bevis


SK7965 : Post office, Sutton on Trent by Andrew Hill
A small building set back a little near the western end of the village High Street.
by Andrew Hill


SK7965 : Sutton on Trent Windmill by Richard Croft
Brick tower mill of c1814, now a private house
by Richard Croft


SK7965 : The Nags head by Richard Croft
Historic hostelry on the Old Great North Road
by Richard Croft


SK7965 : The Old England Hotel by Richard Croft
A mock Tudor Inn established when Sutton on Trent was on the Great North Road - now bypassed, the Old England Hotel is on a quiet village lane.
by Richard Croft


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7765 : Common Lane by Richard Croft
Country lane near Ossington
by Richard Croft



Weston

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7767 : Weston Village by roger geach
taken from outside the church
by roger geach



SK7768 : All Saints Church, Weston by Andrew Hill
All Saints Church is generally of the 13C and 14C, and has a west tower with a slender 14C steeple. (Pevsner)


The OS map shows a moat near the B1164 to the west of the church.

SK7767 : The Boot & Shoe Hotel, Weston, Nottinghamshire by Robert Goulden
This was a 20th century hotel on the Great North Road at Weston. At the time this photograph was taken it was closed and major structural work was in progress.
by Robert Goulden


SK7767 : Chinese restaurant, Weston by JThomas
This looks to be the former Boot and Shoe Hotel.


SK7767 : The old Great North Road leaving Weston by Andrew Hill
The modern A1 is close by to the west. This is the old road north towards Tuxford, now classed as the B1164.
by Andrew Hill


SK7667 : Farm buildings near Weston by Andrew Hill
This looks like a grain or crop storage and distribution centre.
by Andrew Hill


1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7668 : Goosemoor Hall, Scarthingmoor, Nottinghamshire by Robert Goulden
This lovely building started life as the Black Lion Inn on the Great North Road. After closure it became Scarthingmoor House and later Goosemoor Hall.
by Robert Goulden


SK7668 : Blue Bell Farm by Richard Croft
The former Blue Bell Inn on the Great North Road at Weston
by Richard Croft


There are oil wells around here.

1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright

SK7867 : Grassthorpe crossing gates on the ECML by roger geach
There are still a few manned crossings with gates on the main East Coast railway route, here is one example
by roger geach


Don't use this route to Grassthorpe if you are in a hurry! The sign on the crossing reads "GRASSTHORPE L.C. / CROSSING CLOSES NIGHTLY / 22:00 - 06:00". The reason for this is that the crossing is manually operated - drivers wait whilst the crossing operator phones for clearance and opens the gates - and there is no night shift. (Text by Toby Speight)

KML

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
You are not logged in login | register
donations accepted