As well as cutting down on duplication of image descriptions - they create a quick way of linking to and finding other images.
A shared description creates a 'collection' so one can see all the images which use the same shared description.
- All descriptions are public and shared between contributors; you can use a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
- Shared descriptions can be attached to all new and existing images.
- Shared descriptions can operate in addition to, or instead of, the main photo description.
- More than one shared description can be added to a photograph.
- By 'grouping' related images together, they help search engines and site visitors find related images.
- For a series of images which use the same description
- Create quick collections of images
- Create an implicit link between related images, just by attaching a short description to each
- As references or footnotes (expand on a particular point without interrupting the flow of the main description)
To describe and link photos of;
- an event
- an individual building or structure
- groups of buildings or structures
- a walk or route
- a road or railway
- a place
- a landscape feature or area of land
- a mountain peak
- a type of plant or animal
To create a basic 'title only' link of similar/related images
your recent uploads page or the multi-editor function on a search result.
To create a shared description;
1. Click the shared description tab
2. Click 'Create New Shared Description'
3. Enter a short title, a description, and optional grid reference
4. Once you have finished click 'Create shared description'
If you wish to create more than one shared description for the same image, you can repeat the process from step 2.
Once you have added shared descriptions you will see a number beside each one. You can use these numbers, should you wish, to reference your main description using , ,  and so on. See example
When you create a shared description the current images grid reference will automatically be assigned to the description. You can refine this to relate to the precision of the subject, eg a 6 or 8-figure reference for specific building, and a 4-figure reference for a larger area. There is also an option to not attach a location, for shared descriptions which are not specific to one location.
- Clear Titles. Give your shared descriptions a concise and meaningful title so other contributors can easily find it.
- Keep it generic. Shared descriptions are intended to be seen on a number of images, so avoid using phrases like "as can been seen to the rear of the photograph" or similar phrases which will only be applicable to one image. This may be confusing when seen alongside another image, and is better suited to your main description.
- Introduce a webpage. If you add a weblink into your description avoid placing it at random. Make it clear what it is for, eg "Read more (link)", "For more information (link)" and "Museum website (link)".
- Write in your own words. Avoid copying and pasting from other websites. Give a credit if you do.
- Editing. Check your description as it displays on the photo page, and don't be afraid to edit your description if it's not quite right.
- Add keywords. You can add keywords to help your description be found in searches by adding, Keywords: followed by your words, to the end of your shared description. They will then show in the image details.
You can attached a shared description when submitting a new photo, by visiting the edit page of an existing photo, or by using the spelling utility function.
You can attach your own shared description or one created by another contributor.
Use the search box to find a shared description, you can search by keywords, by snippet number, or by entering the image number of an image with the shared description.
- You can only attach shared descriptions to your own images.
- You can attached more than one description.
- It can take up to few minutes for a shared description to become available, though usually much quicker*.
- Edits on a description may take a while to refresh on existing photos.
- You may need to wait for new images to be moderated before the snippets show up fully, and for shared descriptions created in them to show on other images.
*At times the delay might be longer - the 'shared descriptions box' on the edit/submission page is authoritative so if it shows a 'Remove' button you can be sure the description is attached to the image, even if you can't see it yet.
Using the bulk attach form, you can add a shared description to up to 50 images at once.
An image with a normal description
Shared description(s) will show up below your main description, with the title as a link; which you can use to access further images using the shared description.
If the main description uses references (eg ) then the shared descriptions will be numbered (using the same number as shown during editing)
Title only shared descriptions
A 'shared description' consisting of only a title, ie nothing entered in the Description box, will be displayed prefixed by "View more images of ..." - this allows the Shared Descriptions feature to be used to form simple links between images. Title-only shared descriptions will show above other shared descriptions.
Images without a main description
The shared description will display much as a normal description would (but include a link to the shared description page).
Note - for the most part the shared description(s) only shows on the main photo page, and is not currently displayed with the main description in all pages.
Snippets & Searching
Shared descriptions are also displayed on their own 'snippets' page, all images using a shared description are accessed from this page.
Addition searching tips;
Shared Descriptions with no comment, enter comment:^none
Shared Descriptions with no title, enter title:^none
The displayed searches are limited to the first 25 results.
You can enter the shared description section of an image and click 'edit your shared descriptions', or go directly to the search page.
When editing an existing image you do not need to 'submit changes', unless you are also making other changes to the image details. Doing so may open a moderator ticket. Shared descriptions do not currently go through the change request system.
Only you and moderators can edit a shared description you have created. Shared descriptions do not go through the moderation system.
There is currently no system to automatically suggest corrections to descriptions written by others. If you wish to suggest a change to a shared description by another contributor you can use the 'Suggest an Update to this Image' (please use a photograph by the creator of the shared description), or contact the contributor.
- To remove your shared description from a specific image; Go to the shared descriptions in the edit page, click 'remove'.
- To delete a shared description entirely; Go to the search page, search for the shared description, click 'delete'. Please check that another contributor has not used your shared description before deleting a shared description, as this will alter their contribution without their knowledge.