River Trent - The Derbyshire and Leicestershire Trent
From King's Mills with its shallows and historic ford the river forms the county boundary between Leicestershire and Derbyshire.
A toll bridge was opened at Shardlow in 1761. It was named after William Cavendish, 4th Duke of Devonshire who was the patron for the scheme. The current bridge dates from 1957 replacing a temporary Bailey Bridge provided when the original bridge was washed away in 1947.
The new footbridge replaced a 1930s concrete Longhorse Bridge.
It is joined by a major tributary the River Derwent and the Trent & Mersey Canal. The River Derwent rises on the gritstone moors of the 'Dark Peak' area of the Peak District and flows through Matlock and Derby. The river lock marks the start of the Trent and Mersey Canal.
The river flows beneath the M1 motorway and meets the Sawley cut, one of a number of river locks.
The Harrington Bridge at Sawley built in 1786 as a turnpike replaced the Sawley Ferry. The current bridge dates from 1905-6.
( Page < < prev 1 2 3 next >> )