A gallery of images for SE1422 (Brighouse)
|Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:39
|A gallery of images for SE1422 (Brighouse)
Click on the grid square link in the title. This leads to the grid square page with a 1:50,000 map. Click on this map for the 1:25,000 map.
These are grouped into geographical categories, one category per post. It is experimental, and I am building it up gradually. I have not included all of the images, as there is some duplication.
The categories start with linear features, and then progress to buildings of various types, ending with the little details that add interest when exploring a place.
The north part of the square is in Brighouse, mostly the town centre, and the south part Rastrick. The boundary between the two is the River Calder. Brighouse started out as a small settlement by a bridge over the River Calder (now called Rastrick Bridge) that carried an important medieval highway. It grew in the 19C due to good communications and a large area of flat land which could be developed for industry and commerce. Rastrick is an ancient township that was recorded as a vill in the Domesday Book, when it was an outlying part of the Manor of Wakefield. They joined together in 1893 to form the Borough of Brighouse.
|Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:45
|1. The River
This is the River Calder, travelling downstream from the western side of the square.
Looking upstream from Rastrick Bridge (A643).
Here the river flows over the weir that supplied water to the former Sugden's flour mill.
Looking downstream from Rastrick Bridge; note the steep hillside on the right.
Looking upstream from Brighouse Bridge (A641).
Looking downstream from Brighouse Bridge; here is another weir, which fed Brighouse Low Mill.
Looking up from the junction with the canal, with the weir in the distance.
Looking down from the junction with the canal; the river, here navigable, flows placidly out of the square.
|Wed, 22 Jul 2009 21:50
Clifton Beck flows, partly culverted, through an industrial area, and discharges into the river at the eastern edge of the square. It forms the boundary between Brighouse and Clifton. There is also a stream through Rastrick, but it is entirely culverted as it passes through this square.
Upstream of Clifton Road (A643).
In spate, downstream of Wakefield Road (A644). Here the beck enters a culvert under a modern industrial building.
|Sat, 25 Jul 2009 23:00
|3. The Canal
The canal is part of the Calder and Hebble Navigation, and is here called the North Cut. It was constructed to bypass two weirs on the river, although eventually it was extended all the way up to the Hebble Brook in Halifax. This sequence starts at the western side of the square.
A rural scene close to the town centre.
The canal passes through an industrial area.
Looking west from Anchor Bridge (Briggate A643).
Anchor Bridge from the west and 'The Bridge' public house.
Anchor Bridge from the east, with pipes in a metal box alongside.
Looking east from Anchor Bridge, with the market hall on the left and a landscaped area and disused grain silos on the right.
Looking west from the Huddersfield Road bridge, with the disused grain silos on the left.
Looking west towards the Huddersfield Road bridge, with Sainsbury's on the right and the Mill Royd Mill apartment block on the left.
Top Basin Bridge, a roving bridge at the end of Wharf Street. See Richard Kay's image description by opening up the first of these two images.
Brighouse Top Basin, full of narrow boats.
Brighouse Upper Lock, between the Top Basin and the Low Basin.
Brighouse Lower Basin and Lower Lock.
The New Lock House, by the Lower Lock.
The Old Lock House, by the Lower Lock.
This is where the canal leaves the River Calder. The towpath crossed the river by the Ha'penny Toll Bridge (see description for the first of these images.
The old toll house for the Ha'penny Bridge.
|Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:16
|4. The Railway
The railway through Rastrick was constructed by the Lancashire and Yorkshire company c. 1840. It exploited the relatively easy valley route via Todmorden, but was superseded by the shorter route to Manchester via Huddersfield and the Standedge tunnel. The trains from Lancashire via Todmorden were later routed to Leeds via Halifax and Bradford and passenger services eventually ceased on the part of the line past Brighouse. Fortunately the line was still used for freight, so that it has been possible to re-open it, initially for local trains but now for through trains from Halifax to London.
The Rastrick viaduct includes a double bridge over Bridge End (A643) and a narrow minor road, Cliffe Road.
The next bridge is for Gooder Lane. The view westwards from it looks amazingly rural. I think that all the trees and bushes are on the embankments in railway land.
The view eastwards includes Brighouse Station. The old station buildings have been demolished and the station is now un-manned, with shelters on the platforms. The Huddersfield Road bridge is at the far end.
Here is a photograph showing part of the old station buildings
The railway east of Huddersfield Road has somehow escaped being photographed as yet, but I suspect that this concrete tank is railway infrastructure. It would certainly deliver water at high pressure to the railway sidings far below.
|Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:08
|5. The main roads old and new
The ancient main roads
John Ogilby's route from York to Lancaster passed through Brighouse and Rastrick (Britannia, 1675, Plate 89). On his strip map of the road he showed the road crossing Clifton Beck, then a junction captioned 'to Halifax', then a mill, then 'Brighouse Bridge' over 'Calder fluv.'; no village. Fluv. is short for fluvius, a river.
The next survey was by Thomas Jefferys (The County of York Survey'd, 1775). This shows more detail, but probably only shows roads passable by carts and carriages. It is useful in that the roads that are shown are probably medieval in origin, as up to that time turnpike roads had mostly improved ancient routes; completely new roads were rarely constructed before the early 19C.
In this square most of the old roads have become town streets, because the early 19C roads bypassed the town centre (although it was only a village then), and have in turn been bypassed by new 20C roads.
The Leeds and Elland Road was first turnpiked c.1740, and entered the square as it crossed Clifton Beck (1) (in this image Clifton Road (A643) is on the far side of the mini-roundabout; the cones are closing the A644 and three men in yellow jackets are looking anxiously over the parapet of the bridge carrying the A643 over Clifton Beck). Clifton Road is on the north side of the former Stott's Arms, and is now the A643 and A644 eastbound (2). Then the old route was along Brighouse Lane, which became Police Street and now Lawson Road (3). Next was Bethel Street, named after the Methodist Chapel. This has curves that suggest an origin as a country lane (4).
1. 2. 3. 4.
Then there is the junction with Briggate, the road to Halifax, at Thornton Square (5). The route then turns south, crossing the canal. Curiously the bends are in the opposite direction to those on Ogilby's map. Either he made a mistake, or the route changed when the canal was constructed (6).
The route followed Briggate to Brighouse Bridge (now called Rastrick Bridge) and continued as Bridge End in Rastrick (7). South of the junction with Gooder Lane, which Jefferys shows, the road is Rastrick Common, in SE1421 (the common was first enclosed and then built on centuries ago)
The main roads constructed in the early 19C
The Elland to Obelisk Road
The obelisk was the dumb steeple at Cooper Bridge, where the road met the Leeds to Huddersfield Road. This is a valley route, far easier than the old route via Rastrick and Clifton, and was the first of the new roads through Brighouse, constructed c.1815. It enters the square as the A6025 Elland Road, goes past the Central Methodist church, where its route is now a car park (2), along Commercial Street (3) and King Street (4).
2. 3. 4.
It then crossed over the old Leeds to Elland Road at the Round Tavern (5) (ie to the right of the building in this image). It then passes the Stott's Arms on the south side before leaving this square as Wakefield Road, A644 (6). This suffered the fate of many bypass roads; Commercial Street and King Street were soon built-up with shops, offices and houses making passage difficult for through traffic.
The Bradford to Huddersfield Road
This was constructed on a new line c. 1824 and eventually became the A641.
The road descends through Rastrick to Brighouse (1), and crosses the railway (2) and proceeds to the crossroads with the Leeds to Elland Road, just past the green traffic light (a pedestrian crossing) (3). The old route (Bradford Road) is now a one-way street with angle-parking (4).
1. 2. 3. 4.
It then crosses Commercial Street / King Street by the George Hotel, and is then blocked off where it meets Ludenscheid Way (5), beyond which it goes out of this square.
The Brighouse to Denholme Gate Road
This branched off the Elland to Obelisk Road and went northwards out of this square. Whether the part of Briggate betwen Thornton Square and Commercial Street (1) was part of the turnpike road I do not know, but this street became part of the A643 for a period during the mid-20C.
The change in the route of the A643 in Rastrick
The old route of the A643 via Rastrick Common is shown on the 'New Popular' edition of the one-inch map published in 1947, but by 1958 it had been changed to Bramston Street (1 & 2), meeting the old route outside The Star (3).
1. 2. 3.
The bypass roads constructed in the 20C
The through traffic on the shopping streets was becoming more and more of a nuisance, and a bypass road, mostly dual carriageway, was constructed sometime between 1970 and 1978 (based on my one-inch and 1:50,000 maps).
On the east side the new road starts at the Huddersfield Road / Bethel Street / Bradford Road / Lawson Road junction and, named Huddersfield Road (A641), curves around the council offices and health centre on the east side of Lawson Road (1). There is then a traffic-light junction with the A643 and A644, and a short length of road (2) to a roundabout on a junction with the north part of the bypass (A643), a link road to Bradford Road (A641), and the driveway into the Tesco Supermarket. This roundabout is in SE1423. The north part of the bypass is called Ludenscheid Way, and climbs up to the Elland Road (A6025) / Halifax Road (A644) junction, where there is a roundabout (3). The western part of the bypass road is the A643 and starts as a dual carriageway on an embankment and drops to a mini-roundabout junction with a link road to Commercial Street. Then it is a single carriageway (4) down to Owler Ings Road (5), which it follows as far as Briggate, where it ends.
1. 2. 3. 4.
Briggate has been blocked opposite Thornton Square, so to complete the ring on the southern side much traffic uses Millroyd Street (6 & 7).
|Tue, 30 Nov 2010 22:25
|6. The secondary roads
Secondary roads is a rather vague term, but I take it to mean local through or distributor roads. The following are the ones not already mentioned as 'old' main roads in Section 5.
In Brighouse, i.e. north of the River Calder
The only road in this category is Mill Lane. This is shown as a cul-de-sac on Myers's map of the Parish of Halifax, 1835. It became the access road to an industrial area, and by the 1907 OS 1:2500 map had been extended eastwards into Clifton, a process that was to continue in the later 20C.
In Rastrick, i.e. south of the River Calder
Birds Royd Lane starts at Bradford Road opposite Gooder Lane. The layout of this junction as shown on the Rastrick Township map of 1824 suggests that before Bradford Road was constructed Birds Royd Lane started where Gooder Lane and Cliffe Road met. It passed a group of houses, perhaps originally a farm, called 'Birds Royd' and continued to Lower Woodhouse. There was no change when the railway was constructed c. 1840, but later sidings were added to the railway and Birds Royd Lane was widened and straightened. The land on each side has been developed for industry.
Gooder Lane branches off the ancient highway called Clifton Common at the top of Bridge End and connects to Bradford Road opposite Birds Royd Lane.
Cliffe Road is an old through road connecting the bottom of Bridge End with Bradford Road. It is not used much now as it has cars parked along it during the day, making it rather narrow.
Healey Wood Road seems to have originated as an access track to 'Hilly Wood', as shown on the 1824 Township map. The 1850 six-inch map shows the old house on the left (1) and another further up, and beyond that a well.Later in the 19C the route was changed to Victoria Place (2) and a new road called Healey Wood Road curving round Victoria School (3). This was extended in the 20C (4) to give access to the housing estates on the top of the ridge.
1. 2. 3. 4.
Thornhill Road was constructed after 1850, connecting Bridge End with Brook Grain Hill, and thus to the centre of Rastrick village. This was perhaps with the dual purpose of allowing Thornhill Estate traffic to avoid paying tolls on the turnpike road, and of opening up the land for housing development (1). The part to the north of the Longroyde Road junction was along the line of a track called Delf Lane (2). The 19C houses of good quality have remained (6, 7), whilst many of the back-to-back houses have been replaced. The road originally ended at the Junction of Lillands Lane and Scotty Croft Lane. The latter is now only a stub (3), as it was later replaced by Scotty Bank, which has now been blocked off (4) and replaced by a new road taking Thornhill Road down to Bramston Street (5).
1. 2. 3. 4.
5. 6. 7.
Longroyde Road (1) was constructed along the track called Delf Lane, which gave access to Longroyd Quarries on Brighouse Closes. The final 'e' on Longroyde is a modern alteration. Longroyd Road finished at Longroyd Lodge, which guarded the driveway (approximately on the line of Field Top Road in SE1322) to a large house called Long Royd. It now connects to Field Top Road, which leads to the Field Lane and other housing estates.
Lillands Lane (2) is on the 1824 map and leads to Lillands Farm, and also to quarries at the eastern end of Reins Wood. It became a through route when the Oaklands housing estate was built; Oaklands connects to Longroyde Road and Field Top Road.
|Tue, 7 Dec 2010 23:06
|7. The side streets in Brighouse
Area A - Between the river, Briggate and the canal
Bridge Road Myers's Map of 1835 shows this as a straight road from Briggate, opposite the river bridge, to the canal next to Bridge Works, which is captioned 'Corn Mill' on the 1850 six-inch map. This latter map shows the canal end of the road as being part of the mill yard. The 1890 1:500 plan shows the present narrow extension to the road, curving round to Briggate between the canal and the Bridge Hotel.
Daisy Street runs west-east from Bridge Street opposite Atlas Mill Road to Briggate, it was first shown on the 1850 map. The eastern part has been absorbed by a car park.
Croft Street Runs south-north from Briggate, crossing Daisy Street. The north part is in the Daisy Street car park (1)
Atlas Mill Road An industrial street that runs from Bridge Road, opposite Daisy Street, westwards (2). On the 1890 1:500 plan it led to Atlas Mill (Cotton) and Broad Holme Mill (Cotton) and to these Perseverence Brass and Iron Works was added on the 1907 1:2500 map. Between these two maps the eastern end of the road was diverted. It originally met Bridge Road close to the Briggate junction, but the diversion took it across the grounds of Brook House (which was named Brook Villa on the 1850 map). Perhaps there was a plan to build a mill on the plot now occupied by the caravan site? The Recycling Centre is now at the end of the road, and Atlas Mill houses a brewery. On part of what is now the caravan site, a roller skating rink was opened in 1909, and in 1912 it was turned into a cinema, but closed in 1918 due to loss of patronage during the war, and became derelict (Brighouse and District Historical Society, A Brighouse Town History Hunt, 1994, p10)
Area B - Between the canal, Briggate and Halifax Road
This area contains a mixture of industrial and Commercial premises.
Owler Ings Road Owler Ings was perhaps the name of the field; the road is first shown leading to Owler Ings Mills (Silk and Cotton).
Spring Street runs northwards from Owler Ings Road, with the Job Centre on the corner between them (1). It used to go to Halifax Road opposite the Methodist Church, but now just connects to Bank Street.
Bank Street is now the continuation westwards of Spring Street. The 1890 1:500 plan shows a Mission Room on the north side near to Spring Street, and further west, on the north side, there were many back-to-back houses on a site which is now a free all-day car park, no doubt used by people working in the town centre. The land on the south side was undeveloped for many years. The street originally ended at a wall where there is a slight change of direction, and over the wall Brooke Street continued to Elland Road. The wall has gone and the street, now all Bank Street, has been blocked before it reaches the main road. Ganny Mill (Silk) is still on the south side, and a laboratory and the only two remaining houses are on the north side (3).
1. 2. 3.
Prospect Place is a short street off Halifax Road giving vehicular access to three houses on Elland Road, a pair that are called Prospect Place on the 1890 1:500 plan, and a single house called Ganny Cottage shown and named on the 1850 six-inch map.
Sunny Bank Road seems to have originated as a field access track, and is still slightly curvy. By 1893 it led past fields to a row of three houses called Mont Blanc Terrace and a detached house called Calder Villa, both still existing. A few more houses were added in the early 20C (now replaced by a block of flats) (1), and then a photographic works, a business that moved to Bradley in the early 21C.
Sunny Bank Terrace leads to a terrace of houses in SE1423, and also gives access to a block of flats called Sunnybank Grange (2).
Area C - Between the canal, Briggate, Commercial Street and Bradford Road
Ship Street and Canal Street are to the south of Bethel Street and Thornton Square, and were shown on the 1850 map. Ship Street was initially named Victoria Street (at least until 1907) (1). The old buildings between the street and the canal have been demolished and the market is there now. Ship street is one-way eastwards and Canal Street (2) one way northwards, so the two streets provide a short cut from Briggate (lower) to Thornton Square.
Market Street is a shopping street (1) one-way southwards from Commercial Street to Thornton Square. It did not exist in 1890, but is shown on the 1970 1:2500 map with a large open area where buildings had been demolished to make way for a market. This later became the bus station and is now part of the Wellington development. Wellington Arcade (2) is a pedestrian way from Market Street to Briggate.
West Park Street (3) connects Market Street with Park Street, and was originally called Back Bethel Street.
1. 2. 3.
Park Street, Park Row and Hall Street Park Street (1) is a shopping street one-way northwards from Bethel Street to Commercial Street. It is shown on Myers's map of 1835. Park Row is shown on the 1890 town plan; the present row of shops on the north side replaced twelve back-to-back houses. There is a passage through from the end of the street to Commercial Street, and also steps down to Hall Street, which is a narrow back street behind Bradford Road.
Area D - North of Commercial Street and King Street
Parsonage Lane is now spilt into two by Ludenscheid Link. The southern part goes past the Methodist Church (1) and from the top there is a pedestrian unerpass to the north side of the bypass road (2). The northern part has been diverted to start at Church Lane, and resumes its former line at the entrance to the Sixth Form College (3). It is a cul-de-sac leading to the former Vicarage, now Brook House, in SE1423.
1. 2. 3.
Church Lane and Heaton Street Church Lane is also split by Ludenscheid Link, and the part north of Gooder Street is part of a car park. The road is narrow as it leaves Commercial Street (1), and Heaton Street is soon on the right (2), an old street that is shown on the 1850 six-inch map. It is a back street for Commercial Street, and had back-to-back houses on the north side, now converted to warehousing for a furniture shop. To the north of the bypass road Church Lane goes between Doctors' surgeries and soon enters SE1423.
Gooder Street and Ganny Road The western end of Gooder Street (1) was made in the second half of the 20C, probably when the bus station was built here. Past Church Lane (2), there was a short cul-de-sac with houses each side in 1850, and beyond that Ganny Road (3) seems to be a modern creation more-or-less on the line of the former Oxford Street and Lower Bonegate.
1. 2. 3.
Hutchinson Lane, a snicket, a passage, and Hangram Street Hutchinson Lane (1, to the left of Domino's) was perhaps originally a field access track between the buildings along Commercial Street. When the fields were built on in the 19C, it led to Oxford Street, and now it leads to Ganny Road and the bus station. The snicket (2) looks to be a preserved footpath, as one is shown here on the 1850 map, leading to Spring Cottage (which had disappeared by 1890). This is probably the path, raised above low-lying swampy ground, mentioned on p42 of A Brighouse Town History Hunt. Passages to yards often go underneath the upper floors of the frontage development (3). Hangram Street is a curiosity. The 1890 town plan shows that it was a wide street, but at the Bradford Road end only a narrow strip remains between the building and Ludenscheid Link (4). It still has its name plate and is shown on the OS street map.
1. 2. 3. 4.
Area E - East of Huddersfield Road
Wharf Street (1) leads southwards from Mill Lane over the Top Basin canal bridge to land between the canal and river, derelict apart from the converted Mill Royd Mill.
Phoenix Street (2) goes northwards from Mill Lane to Wakefield Road. Phoenix Mill (Cotton) on the 1850 map is now a fireplace showroom.
Wood Street (1) is a narrow industrial street running parallel to Phoenix Street. In the 1890 there was a malthouse on the western side and a wire works on the eastern side.
Grove Street (2) is the next one, right on the edge of the square and in Clifton. On the east side, the Leopold Works was Grove Mills (Cotton) in 1890. The Kirklees Iron Works on the 1890 town plan area still there, now Kirklees Steel Works.
|Sat, 11 Dec 2010 17:49
|8. The side streets in Rastrick
Area F - West of Thornhill Road and south of Longroyde Road
Ridge View Road When houses were built along the west side of Thornhill Road, a gap was left that became Ridge View Road (1), which now becomes Close Lea west of the long back streets (north (2) and south) behind the houses of Thornhill Road.
The Close Lea estate comprises Close Lea and Close Lea Avenue (in SE1322), Drive (3) and Way.
1. 2. 3.
Area G - West of Thornhill Road and north of Longroyde Road
Closes Road was a track leading to a block of fields called Brighouse Closes. Houses were built along it before and afer 1850, and the area was known as Little Woodhouse. It has been mostly demolished and built over, but one short length has been preserved alongside the gable-end of the houses in this image (1 - You can tell by the lintel over the window to right of centre that this was three houses originally; they are captioned Smith's Buildings on the 1:500 OS town plan of 1890). There are more old houses on Closes Place (2).
Thornes Park is now the access road from Thornhill Road. It is a council estate.
1. 2. 3.
Calder View is a privately built estate off Thornes Park (1).
Stoney Hill and Little Woodhouse were the streets in another cluster of 19C houses, most have which have been demolished in the slum clearances of the mid-20C. This is Stoney Hill (2) , with grass and trees where there were tiny cottages, and this Little Woodhouse (3).
1. 2. 3.
Area H - Between Thornhill Road and Bramston Street
Capel Street, Thomas Street and George Street These three steep cobbled streets go straight down the hillside from Thornhill Road to Bramston Street. Denham Strret also goes down the slope, but does not reach Bramston Street. York Street , Firth Street, Bryan Street and Ash Grove Terrace go along the hillside, and also George Terrace, accessed via a passage (3).
1. Capel Street 2. Thomas Street 3.
Area I - Streets off Rastrick Common and Bridge End
Avenue No. 2 looks as if it was intended that it should be extended across the clay pit, but the land was used for industry instead (1). Avenue No. 1 was never built for the same reason. There are two rows of terrace houses, one facing Rastrick Common and another behind it called Common Terrace (2). They were built after the survey for the 1893 1:2500 map.
Clara Street is a short street between Rastrick Common and the southern end of Brooke Street (3), and Rosemary Close is a modern development off Clara Street (4).
1. 2. 3. 4.
Brooke Street ('Brook' on the 1907 map) was mostly built before 1893 (1).
Eleanor Street goes across Brooke Street, and the only houses on it are on this little cul-de-sac at the western end (2).
Harley Street was Francis Street on the 1907 1:2500 map. It had changed its name by the 1930s. Harley Place was Bottomley's Yard.
1. 2. 3.
Area J - Streets between Bridge End and Gooder Lane
East Street (1) runs parallel to Bridge End, but at a higher level at the top of a steep bank. The '58 steps' (2) go down to Bridge End next to the Star Inn.
Green End (3) is a housing estate road replacing Oldham Street, apart from a short length off Bridge End (4)
Laura Street, William Street, and St John Street are three parallel streets between East Street and Gooder lane. St John Street (5) was just John Street before the church of St John the Divine was built. Although theses streets are mainly residential there is an industrial building (the tall building in (6)), which was an 'Iron Works' on the 1905 1:2500 OS map, between Laura Street and William Street.
1. 2. 3. 4.
Area K - Streets east of Gooder Lane
Brick Terrace, Tile Terrace and Brick and Tile Terrace Were built by the owners of the adjacent Brighouse Brick & Tile Works. This is Brick and Tile Terrace (1). Next to it anf old access track to 'Hilly Wood', which later became Healey Wood, had houses built on half of it as is called Healey Wood Bottom (2).
Victoria Place (3) and Victoria Street (4) Two short streets between Gooder Lane and Healey Wood Road.
Aire Street (5) and Railway Street (6) Railway Street is alongside the railway cutting.
Healey Wood Crescent (7) is in the housing estate up on the ridge.
Area L - Streets off Daisy Road
Daisy Road (1) was evidently constructed to gives access to housing estates from Bradford Road. In this square there are housing estate roads as follows:
Stratton Road (2), Danebury Road (3), Wherwell Road (4), are the main estate roads.
3. , 4.
Stratton Park (5) and Amport Close (6) are cul-de-sacs off the main roads.
Area M - Lord's Lane
Lord's Lane (1) was possibly constructed along with the railway in 1840 to divert a track (2) that ran from Birds Royd Lane to fields near Round Wood.The track now meets a housing estate road (Stratton Park) and is one of the few public footpaths in this square. Lord's Lane is not on the 1824 Township map, but is on the 1850 six-inch map, which also shows a row of houses that the 1893 1:2500 map captioned 'Lord's Buildings' , which seem to be on the site of later buildings in Crossley Street (3).
Other streets of Lord's Lane are Lower Newlands (4) and Newlands Close (5).
Area N - Streets off Birds Royd Lane
Princess Street, Pollard Street and Dyehouse Lane Princess Street and Pollard Street have more-or-less been taken over by the adjoining industrial premises. Dyehouse Lane (1) is not shown on the 1850 six-inch map; it must have been made to give access to Calder Dyeworks, of which some buildings still exist in the Royd Mill Business Park (In SE1522). Now most people know it as the street with the Royal Mail delivery office.
|Sat, 11 Dec 2010 19:23
|9. Industrial buildings
In the 19C most of the industry in this square was related to textile manufacture; even the wire works initially made the pins for the cards used in the manufacture of yarn. There is still industry, but it is more varied. The following is only a selection of premises governed by the images that are available in Geograph. This post and the following ones are not intended to be a trade directory; there are other web-sites for that purpose. The images of streets in the industrial areas also show parts of the industrial buildings.
The Mill Lane area
1. Kirklees Steel Works, 2. J W Lister Ltd, (Wireworkers), 3. The Sagar Marine Boatyard
1. 2. 3.
Atlas Mill Road, Bridge Road
4. Atlas Mill Brewery, 5. Bridge Road Works (Upper Mill on the 1890 and 1905 maps); now making wooden garden buildings
6. Brandy Snap Works, Bramston Street 7. Factory, Victoria Place, 8. Boge, Rastrick Common
6. 7. 8.