The Welsh Highland Railway
|Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:58
|The Welsh Highland was constructed in 1922-3 and linked Porthmadog with Dinas, 22 miles to the north and not that far from Caernarfon. The narrow-gauge line ran via the Aberglaslyn Pass and Beddgelert. It was never very successful and closed in 1936.
After great efforts from enthusiasts, volunteers and others the route was reopened throughout in 2011, although outstanding work remained to enlarge the joint station with the Ffestiniog Railway at Porthmadog.
Work began at Caernarfon and the first section of line opened to Dinas in 1997, utilising the formation of an old LNWR branch. Subsequent extensions were made to Waunfawr in 2000, to Rhyd Ddu in 2003, to Beddgelert and Haford y Llyn in 2009 and to Pont Croesor in 2010. Trains ran into Porthmadog in 2011.
The following selection of images give an impression of the route from Dinas to Porthmadog.
|Mon, 14 Nov 2011 21:12
|A few more shots from around Beddgelert