Geo-Trips :: Jubilee Path up Cnoc Fyrish

Evanton, Easter Ross

A walk from Car park for Jubilee Path up Cnoc Fyrish, Tue, 23 May 2017 by Julian Paren

Cnoc Fyrish provides a fine viewpoint of the Cromarty Firth and the marine activity in its waters. A folly graces the summit of the hill.

The Fyrish Monument is a monument built in 1782 on the orders of Sir Hector Munro, 8th of Novar, a native lord of the area who had served in India as a general. As the local population were being cleared off their land, employment was a problem and so it was built to give the locals some work. It was said that Sir Hector rolled stones from the top of the hill to the bottom, thereby extending the amount of time worked and paying the labourers for additional hours. It represents the Gate of Negapatam, a port in Madras, India, which General Munro took for the British in 1781.

The walk provides a gentle ascent through Pine woods before emerging into open moorland where natural regeneration has been allowed to proceed. There is a small lochan beside the path surrounded by fine trees. A number of circular walks are possible, and the shortest that avoids an out and back by the same route adds a trivial distance and spends longer in the more open moorland. So, it does make sense to choose the diversion on the return route. Not far from the car park are numerous bilberry bushes.

The walk was 4.3 miles and with plenty of time studying the ecology took 2 hours 20 minutes.

On the map below, the grey line is the GPS track from this trip. Click the blue circles to see a photograph taken from that spot and read further information about the location. The blue lines indicate the direction of view. There is also a slideshow of this trip. ( )

↓ Scroll down here ↓

NH6271 : At the start of the Jubilee Walk up Cnoc Fyrish by Julian Paren
At the start of the Jubilee Walk up Cnoc Fyrish
The first section is relatively flat with bilberry plants aplenty beside the path.

NH6170 : Lochan on the side of Cnoc Fyrish by Julian Paren
Lochan on the side of Cnoc Fyrish
Quite a surprise to find the lochan where it is.

NH6069 : Pools beside the Fyrish Monument by Julian Paren
Pools beside the Fyrish Monument
Bog cotton surrounds the pools on the summit of Cnoc Fyrish. The Cromarty Firth... more

NH6069 : Fyrish Monument by Julian Paren
Fyrish Monument
The Fyrish Monument is a monument built in 1782 on the orders of Sir Hector... more

NH6170 : Lochan on the side of Cnoc Fyrish by Julian Paren
Lochan on the side of Cnoc Fyrish
A good place to stop on both the ascent and descent of Cnoc Fyrish.

NH6170 : On the alternative route back from Cnoc Fyrish by Julian Paren
On the alternative route back from Cnoc Fyrish
A useful deviation from the normal out-and-back linear route.

NH6271 : Bilberry bushes beside the Cnoc Fyrish path by Julian Paren
Bilberry bushes beside the Cnoc Fyrish path
A return in the fruiting season surely beckons.

NH6170 : Returning to the Cnoc Fyrish car park by the "Alternative Route" by Julian Paren
Returning to the Cnoc Fyrish car park by the "Alternative Route"
A less well used track provides a small detour to the normal linear route up the... more

NH6069 : Fyrish Monument by Julian Paren
Fyrish Monument
The Fyrish Monument is a monument built in 1782 on the orders of Sir Hector Munro,... more

All images © Julian Paren and available under a Creative Commons licence external link.

You are not logged in login | register