The Geograph Search Engine - now keyword powered
We have recently introduced a new search system to Geograph. This is powered by an indexing system designed especially for text searching. This is a drastic change compared to the old search, which, though it could do text searches, was kinda clunky.
Enter multiple keywords separated by spaces, in any order:
- river bridge arch
- To exclude a word put a - in front bridge -river
- either/or (river OR road) tree (brackets optional)
The new engine can also apply filters just by entering prefixes directly in the search box, below are some examples of supported fields:
- year:2007 (the year the photo was taken)
- month:200605 (the month, eg May 2006)
- day:20060521 (the day, eg 21st May 2006)
- myriad:SH or hectad:TQ49 or gridref:TQ4192
- realname:"Fred Smith"
In addition can combine these features and even specify phrases:
- bridge -comment:road (negation)
- river title:bridge
- "road bridge"
- road bridge -"suspension bridge"
Also boolean queries are supported (includes partial support for phrases and fields):
- dog | ( cat mouse)
- (river OR road) AND tree
All keywords are not case sensitive!
You can find the reference for the old query style here.