NS3477 : Cardross Old Parish Church

near to Cardross, Argyll And Bute, Great Britain

Cardross Old Parish Church
Cardross Old Parish Church
See NS3477 : Cardross Old Parish Church for a wider view, on a day with better lighting. Click on the end-note title for other pictures of the church and its churchyard.

As is summarised in the end-note, the parish church for Cardross had been, until 1643, St Serf's (NS3975 : The ruins of St Serf's Church), which is in Levengrove Park, now part of the town of Dumbarton. However, with the redrawing of parish boundaries, it became desirable to have the parish church in a more central location. The site chosen was the one shown in the present photograph. The first church built here dated from 1643-44. In 1826-27, it was replaced by another church (whose architect was James Dempster) on the same site. The picture shows that church, which is now disused.

It fell into disuse after sustaining bomb damage during the Cardross Blitz of 1941. The nearby former Free Church on the corner of Station Road and Church Avenue became the new parish church: NS3477 : Cardross Parish Church.

A small stone panel is visible on the walled-up doorway; it bears an inscription: "To the glory of God the tower of this Church was restored as a witness to past faith and future hope / Summer 1999 / 'Look Forward in Faith'".

On each side of the doorway, at about the same level as the panel with the inscription, darker details are visible; these are two carved stone heads: see NS3477 : Cardross Old Parish Church - stone head (on the left) and NS3477 : Cardross Old Parish Church - stone head (on the right).

The Canmore link in the end-note refers to "two identical mausoleum enclosures, castellated and gunlooped, on the western margin of the burial plot"; these are the NS3477 : Edmonstone Burial Ground and the NS3477 : Auchenfroe Family Burial Ground. For views of other memorials in the churchyard, click on the end-note title.
Cardross Old Parish Church
The first church on this site was erected in 1643-44; it replaced St Serf's Church LinkExternal link as parish church of Cardross. It, in turn, was replaced by Cardross Old Parish Church (1826-27; architect James Dempster); see LinkExternal link (at Canmore) for details. It was damaged by WWII bombing (1941), and is no longer in ecclesiastical use. The present-day parish church is the nearby former Free Church (NS34467754) on Station Road.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2007
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3477, 118 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (Third Visitor for NS3477)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 15 August, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 25 November, 2008
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Former (from Tags)
Church 
Place (from Tags)
Cardross 
Period (from Tags)
19th Century 
Architect (from Tags)
James Dempster 
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3493 7727 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:57.5996N 4:38.7502W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3491 7725
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Forward to a
friend by email


Other Tags
Cardross Old Parish Church 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

This page has been viewed about 433 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register