SJ3482 : St Barnabas, Bromborough

near to Bromborough, Wirral, Great Britain

St Barnabas, Bromborough
St Barnabas, Bromborough
St Barnabas, in the centre of Bromborough village, is the Church of England parish church for Bromborough. The first church on the site of today's church was built 928AD, adjacent to a monastery founded 912AD, probably by Aethelflaeda, the Lady of the Mercians and daughter of Alfred the Great.
This Anglo-Saxon church was demolished in 1828, being replaced on the same site by another church which was itself replaced by the present church in 1864. A carved Anglo-Saxon preaching cross, discovered in the foundations of the first church, now stands by the south porch of the present church.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Sue Adair and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ3482, 39 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for SJ3482)
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
Wednesday, 11 January, 2006   (more nearby)
Sunday, 15 January, 2006
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 349 822 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:19.9613N 2:58.7413W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 811 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved