NS7058 : The Parish Church of Bothwell

taken 12 years ago, near to Bothwell, South Lanarkshire, Great Britain

The Parish Church of Bothwell
The Parish Church of Bothwell
Quire built 1398 by Archibald the Grim, 3rd Earl of Douglas, added to previous Norman structure. Oldest collegiate church still in use in Scotland. Alterations 1719, 1833(Nave rebuilt), 1898 (quire restored), 1933 (two parts of building united on one level). Originally dedicated to St Bride, then to St Mary, reverted to St Bride 1929, retained name until amalgamation of two village congregations - Bothwell Parish Church (1978).
Monument in foreground to Joanna Baillie, born 1762, daughter of the manse. Niece of Hunter brothers of East Kilbride, surgeons - monument to them just visible behind flowerbed NS5666 : University of Glasgow Quincentenary Gates. Later a well-known literary figure, died 1851, Hampstead. Monument erected 1899, contains mosaics by Murano.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Iain Thompson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS7058, 19 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 14 January, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 15 January, 2006
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 705 586 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:48.1961N 4:4.0550W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (First for NS7058) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 810 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register