SH1727 : Aberdaron New Church at Bodernabwy

near to Aberdaron, Gwynedd, Great Britain

Aberdaron New Church at Bodernabwy
Aberdaron New Church at Bodernabwy
Information provided by Alan Fryer: In the mid-nineteenth century the ancient church of St Hywyn in Aberdaron had fallen into such disrepair that this new church was built at Bodernaby, well outside the village. However, the old church was restored and this new church was not needed. The graveyard is still used for local burials.
The building is aptly described by John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72):
"The old church is an ancient structure of different styles, with a beautiful Norman door; and was formerly collegiate, and had the privilege of sanctuary; but was, some years ago, abandoned. The new church is a recent tasteless structure."
It is now the new building which is abandoned, while St Hywyn's has again been restored in 2004-2006
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Medcalf and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SH1727, 38 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Date Taken
Sunday, 15 January, 2006   (more nearby)
Sunday, 15 January, 2006
Chapel   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 176 272 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:48.6847N 4:42.4660W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SH 175 272
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 189 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
Get Involved