TQ3878 : Greenwich Foot Tunnel under River Thames

taken 15 years ago, near to Isle of Dogs, Tower Hamlets, Great Britain

Greenwich Foot  Tunnel under River Thames
Greenwich Foot Tunnel under River Thames
The Greenwich Foot Tunnel runs under the River Thames between Cutty Sark Gardens and Island Gardens, on the Isle of Dogs. It is 1,217 feet in length and approx 50 feet deep. Its original purpose was to allow south London residents to work in the docks on the Isle of Dogs. It was designed by Sir Alexander Binnie and was opened on 4 August 1902 at a cost of 127,000. The tunnel is lined with 200,000 glazed white tiles.

The circular entrance buildings are similar both sides of the river and contain a lift and a long spiral flight of stairs. It is open 24 hours a day, although the lifts do not always run the full time.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Nat Bocking and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ3878, 624 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
2003   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 20 January, 2006
Category
Tunnel > Tunnel   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 382 781 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:29.0984N 0:0.6616W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Third Visitor for TQ3878)
This page has been viewed about 3747 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register