NZ1265 : Close House mansion & Heddon on the Wall from the golf course

near to Wylam, Northumberland, Great Britain

Close House mansion & Heddon on the Wall from the golf course
Close House mansion & Heddon on the Wall from the golf course
Close House was built in 1779 for the private use of the Bewicke family on the site of an earlier monastic house. The mansion and estate were sold in 1953 and bought for the sum of 13,190 by James Rutherford and Sons who sold it on to Kings College, later the University of Newcastle upon Tyne, in 1960 who had it refurbished in 1994 for 1,000,000. The University sold the whole Estate to local business man Graham Wylie in 2004 and it reopened as a hotel and golf venue in 2005 LinkExternal link
There is a brief history here LinkExternal link
Description of house: LinkExternal link
Descriptions of gardens: LinkExternal link

See other images of Close House
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
2009
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ1265, 68 images   (more nearby)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph
Date Taken
Sunday, 25 January, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 25 January, 2009
Category
Golf course   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 127 652 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:58.9122N 1:48.1105W
Photographer Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 127 651
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


This page has been viewed about 49 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register
please support us