TL6563 : 1848 Railway Station

taken 9 years ago, near to Newmarket, Suffolk, Great Britain

1848 Railway Station
1848 Railway Station
Newmarket’s first station was the terminus of the Newmarket & Chesterford Railway. It was built on this site in 1848, and consisted of a single platform to the west of the current line. This continued in use when the Warren Hill tunnel was built, and the line to Bury St Edmunds was opened in 1854. When the Ely line was opened in 1879 a new through platform was opened, joined by a footbridge.
A new station was built approximately half a mile south in 1902, and the original one was used for goods traffic, it closed in 1967, and was demolished c.1985, the site was used for housing.

The photo was taken from above the tunnel entrance, looking south towards the current station. The terminus stood to the right, now submerged in houses.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Tony Lewis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL6563, 30 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 19 January, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 25 January, 2009
Category
Railway station (disused)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 650 632 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:14.5730N 0:24.9159E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 650 633
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Third Visitor for TL6563)
This page has been viewed about 275 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register