SJ9399 : Tameside Hippodrome

taken 9 years ago, near to Ashton-Under-Lyne, Tameside, Great Britain

Tameside Hippodrome
Tameside Hippodrome
Originally the Empire Hippodrome, it opened its doors for the first time on 21st November 1904. It was built by J. J. Alley on behalf of William Henry Broadhead, who was head of the Broadhead family theatre circuit. It had a facade of red brick and an auditorium of three levels and boxes.

Over the years the Hippodrome attracted many famous names including Charlie Chaplin, the legendary silent movie actor, who took to the Hippodrome stage as a young theatre apprentice, before setting off to explore the bright lights of America in 1910.

In 1932 the Theatre was closed and altered for cinema use, reopening on 22nd August with the film 'Carnival Boat' starring Bill Boyd. In 1933 it was reconstructed as a cinema and renamed the New Empire. The auditorium was radically altered by removal of the gallery and boxes and was replaced with one single large balcony which could seat 600 people. The decor was remodelled in the Art Deco style and a new Cinema Organ was installed. The backstage area and the stage itself were retained however. The New Empire Cinema reopened for business on 4th November 1933.

In 1964 the Theatre was bought by the EMI group and renamed the ABC. This name was to continue until 1974 when it was closed and an application to convert it for Bingo was submitted. This however was refused by the local Council due to local pressure to retain it for live use and the fact that two local Operatic Societies still used the Theatre. Instead the Council took a 21 year lease on the building, removed the organ, refurbished the Theatre, and reopened it as a live venue with a capacity of 1,262 in 1976.

In 1983 the Council bought the Theatre from EMI but in 1992 they appointed Apollo Leisure to run it, and it was at this time that the Theatre was renamed the Tameside Hippodrome. Later the Theatre was run by Live Nation but the local Council did not renew their contract and the Theatre closed in 2008. Since then the building has been vacant.

More information can be found on The Music Hall and Theatre History Website LinkExternal link

A blue plaque SJ9399 : A Century of Theatre unveiled by Ken Dodd celebrates its centenary.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ9399, 507 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 17 February, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 17 February, 2009
Geographical Context
Sport, Leisure  Derelict, Disused 
Place (from Tags)
Ashton Under Lyne 
Disused (from Tags)
Theatre 
Person (from Tags)
Ken Dodd  Charlie Chaplin 
Year (from Tags)
1904 
Category
Theatre   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 936 990 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:29.2658N 2:5.8572W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 935 990
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Blue Plaque 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 121 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register