SJ4912 : St Julian's and St Alkmund's Churches, Shrewsbury

taken 18 years ago, near to Shrewsbury, Shropshire, Great Britain

St Julian's and St Alkmund's Churches, Shrewsbury
St Julian's and St Alkmund's Churches, Shrewsbury
Medieval towns usually have large numbers of churches, often close together. St Alkmund's Church (on the left) was rebuilt in 1793-5 retaining the medieval tower and spire. St Julian's Church similarly has a tower built c.1200, with later upper stages in Perpendicular style, but the nave rebuilt in 1749-50 and the south side, partly visible in this photo, decorated by Classical Tuscan pilasters in 1846. The narrow road between the churches is Fish Street. The building on the left is 1 High Street and was built in the early 19C. It has a 16C timber-framed wing at the rear. The roof is hidden behind a parapet. Note the street light fastened to the wall of the building.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Humphrey Bolton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ4912, 1392 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 18 June, 2000   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 4 February, 2006
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 492 125 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:42.4661N 2:45.1990W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 852 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register