SK3226 : St. Saviour's Church

taken 9 years ago, near to Foremark, Derbyshire, Great Britain

St. Saviour's Church
St. Saviour's Church
This small church was built in 1662 at the time of the restoration of the monarchy. It is, apparently, one of the few Restoration period churches outside London and has been little changed since then. It still has its original box pews and a triple-decker pulpit. Inside are many memorials and tombstones of the Burdett family, who lived in the nearby Foremark Hall, and were major landowners in the area. The Burdetts held the Burdett baronetcy of Bramcote in Warwickshire, created in 1619. They gained their Foremark estate by marriage. It was the second Burdett of that line who funded the building of this church. The baronetcy has been dormant since 1951, and Foremark Hall is now a preparatory school for Repton School.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright P L Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK3226, 24 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 22 February, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 23 February, 2009
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 329 265 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:50.1118N 1:30.7400W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 329 265
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Fourth Visitor for SK3226)
This page has been viewed about 351 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register