SM8126 : Caerforiog Farmhouse

taken 9 years ago, near to Middle Mill, Pembrokeshire/Sir Benfro, Great Britain

Caerforiog Farmhouse
Caerforiog Farmhouse
It looks deceptively modern but is actually quite old and a building has been here for hundreds of years. The interior gives its age away with an enormous inglenook and lots of old features. The Meyler family farmed here for many generations and the farm is even mentioned as far back as the 14th century. It was a manor house in the past and a big employer in the region. There is even a connection with the cathedral at St Davids and there was a chapel on site here that was demolished, it is said, to build the cowsheds. The font is said to be at St Non's church now.


Taken from Genuki:

WHITCHURCH [TRE-GROES]

"WHITCHURCH, a parish in the hundred of DEWISLAND, county of PEMBROKE, SOUTH WALES, 12 Miles (N. W. by W.) from Haverfordwest, containing 1028 inhabitants. This parish, which contains the small sea-port town of Solva, described under its own head, is situated on the coast of St. Bride's bay, and on the turnpike road from Haverfordwest to St. David's. It comprises a considerable tract of good arable and pasture land: the surface is abruptly varied, and the scenery, being pleasingly diversified with hill and dale, is in some parts, especially near the town, highly picturesque. The inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture, in the burning of lime, for which there are some kilns near the entrance of the town of Solva, and in the trade of the port. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at 5. 15. 7 1/2., endowed with 200 royal bounty, and 800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Precentor and Chapter of the Cathedral Church of St. David's. The church, dedicated to St. David, is not remarkable for any architectural details of importance. There are places of worship for Baptists, Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, and Presbyterians. Caervoriog, in this parish, is the birthplace of Adam Hoton, Bishop of St.David's, at one time ambassador to the Court of France, and Lord High Chancellor of England. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to 304. 19." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Deborah Tilley and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SM8126, 9 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 28 February, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 28 February, 2009
Category
Farmhouse   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SM 810 267 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:53.7436N 5:11.0106W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SM 810 266
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 94 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register