SO4522 : Altar stone, once buried for 300 years

taken 9 years ago, near to Garway, Herefordshire, Great Britain

Altar stone, once buried for 300 years
Altar stone, once buried for 300 years
The altar stone, which dates from the time of the Knights Templar, was hidden in the chancel floor at the time of the Reformation when altar stones were ordered to be destroyed and wooden tables used instead. In 1878 it was returned to its position and in 1967 it was mounted on pillars of Bath Stone.
Source: Audrey Tapper, Knights Templar & Hospitaller in Herefordshire.

There is some damage to one corner of the altar stone and for this reason it has been remounted 180 degrees out of its original position.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Pauline E and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SO4522, 178 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 27 February, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 1 March, 2009
Category
Altar   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 455 224 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:53.8805N 2:47.5905W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 455 224
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 37 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register