NT8347 : Swinton Village Cross

taken 9 years ago, near to Swinton, Scottish Borders, Great Britain

Swinton Village Cross
Swinton Village Cross
Situated in the village green, this 1769 classical sundialed column is known as the 12th Man of Swinton. (Source: Borders and Berwick, an Architectural Guide by Charles Alexander Strang).
The large building behind on the right is the former Free Church built in 1860, but is now used as the village hall. This had a very striking tall spire which could be seen from all around the Eastern Borders, but the top of the spire had to be removed for safety reasons. (Source: Swinton Kirk information leaflet). At the time of visiting there was a notice on the hall door stating that the building was not available for public use until further notice.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Walter Baxter and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT8347, 50 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 12 March, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 14 March, 2009
Category
Cross   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 8351 4740 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:43.1842N 2:15.8437W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 8351 4740
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 88 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register