TQ8748 : Grafty Green Village Sign

taken 9 years ago, near to Grafty Green, Kent, Great Britain

Grafty Green Village Sign
Grafty Green Village Sign
On small green at junction of Lenham Road (on left) and Church Road. (unseen).
Opposite is the post office/ village store. Beyond the green, is the King's Head public house.
Kent Village Signs
King George VI recommended that the old custom of identifying villages with carved or painted name signs could be revived. In 1920, Biddenden had won a Daily Mail competition for a sign featuring the two Biddenden Maids.
More villages followed, especially in 1953, the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II. More signs have been put up due to the Millennium. This has meant half of the county villages are identified.]
See also LinkExternal link , an article on Kent Village Signs
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Anstiss and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ8748, 32 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 11 March, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 14 March, 2009
Category
Village sign   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 872 489 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:12.5264N 0:40.7942E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 872 489
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 80 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register