TQ2848 : Royal Earlswood Park

taken 9 years ago, near to Redhill, Surrey, Great Britain

Royal Earlswood Park
Royal Earlswood Park
Originally opened in 1855, and receiving a royal charter from Queen Victoria in 1862, the Royal Earlswood Hospital was an asylum for people with learning difficulties. The first medical superintendent was John Langdon-Down after whom Down's Syndrome was named. It gained notoriety for housing two of the Queen Mother's nieces, Katherine and Nerissa Bowes-Lyon, for almost 50 years, from 1941 to 1986, a fact that was kept quiet, and even denied, by Buckingham Palace, who claimed that they had died. For full history see LinkExternal link.

The hospital closed in 1997, and has now been redeveloped for housing, as Royal Earlswood Park. This is the original main building, now named Victoria Court. It is grade II listed - for listing particulars see LinkExternal link.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ian Capper and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ2848, 38 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 15 March, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 21 March, 2009
Category
Hospital (converted)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 281 486 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:13.3650N 0:10.0094W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 281 486
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Third Visitor for TQ2848)
This page has been viewed about 4469 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register