NS3318 : Auld Kirk Alloway

taken 9 years ago, near to Alloway, South Ayrshire, Great Britain

Auld Kirk Alloway
Auld Kirk Alloway
The old parish church of Alloway was built in the 16th century and was used regularly till 1691, and occasionally until the 1730s. From 1740 to at least 1752 it was used as a school building but then became ruinous. Robert Burns knew it in this condition, commemorating it in 1790 in his famous poem “Tam o’ Shanter”. In 1786, Ayr Council had the kirk building re-roofed to be a school again for several years. The graveyard remained in use till the 20th century.
(Source: Monumental Inscriptions of Carrick, Ayrshire)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Mary and Angus Hogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3318, 229 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 18 March, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 21 March, 2009
Category
Church (ruined)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 330 180 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:25.6860N 4:38.3528W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 330 180
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 91 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register