NT9508 : Biddlestone Chapel

taken 9 years ago, near to Biddlestone, Northumberland, Great Britain

Biddlestone Chapel
Biddlestone Chapel
This unusual building started off as a medieval tower house or Pele, first mentioned in a survey of 1415. In the 17th century the tower was incorporated into a larger manor house which became part of Biddlestone Hall in about 1800. In the 19th century the upper floors of the tower were converted into a Roman Catholic Chapel. In World War II part of the basement became an air raid shelter as the Hall was used as a convalescence home. After the War the Hall fell into disuse and was eventually demolished in 1957.
Historic Chapels Trust: LinkExternal link
The Journal 6 November 2006: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NT9508, 32 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 20 March, 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 22 March, 2009
Category
Chapel   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 955 083 [100m precision]
WGS84: 55:22.1258N 2:4.3206W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NT 954 083
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 105 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register