SD7629 : Parish Church of St John the Evangelist

taken 12 years ago, near to Accrington, Lancashire, Great Britain

Parish Church of St John the Evangelist
Parish Church of St John the Evangelist
The church was built in 1862-63, and is located at the western end of what is now (2002) Church Walk. Inside the Church at the western end the dominant feature on the south wall is the War Memorial board. This Memorial commemorates the men who gave their lives in both the First and Second World Wars, there are 117 names recorded for the First and 52 on the Second. The 1914 -1918 board was unveiled and dedicated in 1919, and the 1939-1945 board was unveiled at a Dedication Service on Remembrance Sunday, 1947.

Above the names of the 1914-1918 board is the following inscription:-

"In loving and grateful memory of the men of this Parish who gave their lives for King & Country in the Great War 1914-1918. Their names are here recorded to be held in honour for evermore".
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Spencer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD7629, 101 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 18 February, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 18 February, 2006
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 7633 2908 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:45.4522N 2:21.6293W
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (First for SD7629) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 287 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register