SP9374 : The Round House

near to Cranford st John, Northamptonshire, Great Britain

The Round House
The Round House
beside Thrapston Road (A510) northeast of Finedon. It was built on behalf of the Duke of Wellington to celebrate the battle of Waterloo. While a guest in the local stately home he mentioned that the scenery here reminded him of the Waterloo landscape. Now part of a farm. This Grade II building is listed twice because part is in Burton Latimer civil parish LinkExternal link and part is in Woodford CP LinkExternal link (both links give details of the history). The sign on the building reads: "Panorama. Waterloo Victory. June 18 A.D. 1815". For another "round" house, see TM1224 : Essex geometry.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Kokai and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
year taken
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP9374, 8 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for SP9374)
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
Sunday, 19 February, 2006   (more nearby)
Monday, 20 February, 2006
Folly   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 93465 74901 [1m precision]
WGS84: 52:21.8521N 0:37.7282W
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

This page has been viewed about 373 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register
donate to geograph